• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Am thinking of adding this item to my survival stash. It looks easy to stow,

I bought on to store in my BOB. I tried it a couple times just to makes sure it functioned properly and I was really surprised at the accuracy of this take down rifle. The trigger pull is a little stout, but the rifle functions well using CCI ammo. At 50 feet, I had one ragged hole about the size of a half dollar after firing about 50 rounds.

I cleaned and lubricated mine, sealed it and stored it in my BOB / Survival pack along with 500 rounds of ammo. I also have an FS92 and 400 rounds of 9 mm ammo in there as well. The design has been around since the 60s when Armalite was producing it.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I had an original Armalite one and always regretted getting rid of it, so I bought one of the Henry AR-7s for my BOB. My only regret is that I can't put a rail on it so I could mount an MRD.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I had one that I sold to another INGO member. I wasn't very impressed with it. It would jam when it would get dirty. I think you would be better off just strapping a .22 rifle to your pack. Everything is stored in the stock and its very bulky. I think you could find better use of the space in pack that its going to take up.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I had one that I sold to another INGO member. I wasn't very impressed with it. It would jam when it would get dirty. I think you would be better off just strapping a .22 rifle to your pack. Everything is stored in the stock and its very bulky. I think you could find better use of the space in pack that its going to take up.

Point taken---thanks for the input!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I had one and loved it! You have to figure out what .22 ammo it likes because they are "known to jam" if you google it. The problem is fixed (in my case) by finding the right ammo and then it is flawless. I sold it to fund other stuff and my .22 conversion for my AR serves my SHTF needs. The newer version of the Henry Survival rifle has a rail system on it. I figured this out when I sold mine, I went to the website to link to the pics and they changed the look a little.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Agree with SmileDocHill,

I bought one from Henry 3 years ago and it was a trial and error on ammo. Those little rifles are real finiky with ammo. The one I had only liked Remmington Golden Boy ammo. Everything I tried (CCI, Federal, etc...) it would jam on. Sadly the Golden Boy ammo is real dirty and after 100 to 150 rounds accuracy went downhill.

The rifle "floats" BTW but getting parts (spare mags) is an issue as very few make them. I eventualy sold mine to get a 10/22. If you omit the space issue I would go with a 10/22 instead as parts/mods are more avaliable.

ayerskw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Greenfield
    Good posts... This has been very helpful. I also have been thinking about purchasing a Henry AR-7 for a BOB. Unfortunately, I have no real life experience with tne AR-7 yet but do like the idea of having one...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Good posts... This has been very helpful. I also have been thinking about purchasing a Henry AR-7 for a BOB. Unfortunately, I have no real life experience with tne AR-7 yet but do like the idea of having one...

It's a novalty rifle IMO. It fits it's niche target market but I don't think I would want one for a BOB. I would personally go with something heavier (.223 or 7.62x39) that gives you a bigger magazine and heavier round.

Also of note at least on the new Henry model ones is that the barrel threads to the body with a metal screw. But the barrel has a plastic "numb" to line the barrel to the body. Over time of taking the barrel off the body that platsic "numb" gets damaged and while you can still thread the barrel to the body the "numb" is missing.

Also if you shoot a lot in a single session the screw that connect the barrel to the body gets lose so you have to get checking it after 100 rounds of continous use.

I do miss the one I had but again for me it was a novalty item.

Top Bottom