• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gvbcraig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Southwest Fort Wayne
    When I think of the term hero, it conjures up in my mind images of Sgt. York, Audy Murphy, the firefighters and police officers of NYC during 9/11. Maybe I'm just old school or ultra conservative, but I don't see that folks who didn't risk their lives for something or someone deserve the title.

I do not consider your position as "old school" or "ultra conservative", I think it is actually main stream.

It is just that the media that provides us with information is lost in it's own depravity and can no long reason what is right and what is wrong. They have twisted their own lies so much that they cannot even deal with what is the actual truth.

They call themselves "progressive" or "open minded", in reality as you and I know it, they are "lost" and "bewildered".

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    I do not consider your position as "old school" or "ultra conservative", I think it is actually main stream.

It is just that the media that provides us with information is lost in it's own depravity and can no long reason what is right and what is wrong. They have twisted their own lies so much that they cannot even deal with what is the actual truth.

They call themselves "progressive" or "open minded", in reality as you and I know it, they are "lost" and "bewildered".
    The problem for many is that in the quest for "open-mindedness," they inadvertently allow their brains fall out!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I'm with you mike! We've got children starving and dying worldwide, young women being kidnapped and sold into sex slavery, young men and women dying in far-off lands across the world, and this woman is a hero? The woman who started a group to protect the rights of hookers? This isn't my idea of a "hero." Here are some recent heroes:

Green Beret Receives Posthumous Medal of Honor for Saving 22 Lives in Afghanistan - FoxNews.com

Staff Sergeant Salvatore A. Giunta - Medal of Honor Recipient for the United States Army

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    You guys would have really hated Jesus of Nazareth.

I've got no issues at all with calling her a hero.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sex workers' rights? She makes it sound like collective bargaining. Like they are forming a union? Does that make her a pimp?

Hero? No, not really. Activist, spokesperson, champion, sure......

Hero:
    person of uncommon courage and/or ability, admired for their brave deeds and noble qualities.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Sex workers' rights? She makes it sound like collective bargaining. Like they are forming a union? Does that make her a pimp?

Hero? No, not really. Activist, spokesperson, champion, sure......

Hero:
    person of uncommon courage and/or ability, admired for their brave deeds and noble qualities.
    That's my point, not that we shouldn't give credit where credit is due, but we should quit throwing the word hero around so casually. Some folks want to pin it on anybody who has ever done anything of note.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    You guys would have really hated Jesus of Nazareth.

I've got no issues at all with calling her a hero.

Speaking up and fighting for the weak or marginalized, especially when no one else will do it, is always heroic. Looking contemptuously down one's nose at folks in less appealing circumstances is not. I refer to Jesus because He set an example by hanging out with prostitutes and criminals, and advocating for their right to be treated like human beings. Frédérique Chabot is doing the same. Now, if you don't give a damn about Jesus or the religion He represents, that's fine, but I don't think it excuses anyone from considering a person's right to be treated with some basic human dignity.

It's all a matter of perspective. We're all basically middle class folks, relatively secure in our livelihoods. But what if we weren't? What if we were at that point of desperate poverty and/or hopeless addiction where the unsavory is the only opportunity we have to get by? Few people here ever seem to cast their thoughts beyond the comfort of the suburbs, and there is a world of miserable, marginalized people out there, wishing for someone to speak up for them.

Did anyone bother to look up what this woman is fighting for or against, before making snide remarks and crude innuendos? She's in an area where poverty turns women (and men) to prostitution. Prostitution gets them arrested and on probation. Probationary laws prevent them from accessing things like food banks and women's shelters, so they're forced even deeper into the unsavory world that they may in fact be trying to escape. Just like Republicans here, lawmakers in Ottawa are entirely focused on punishing people, with no thought whatsoever toward helping them escape their conditions.

This is not to say that all of them want to escape, but when society administratively removes the means to do so, it doesn't really matter what one wants.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I refer to Jesus because He set an example by hanging out with prostitutes and criminals, and advocating for their right to be treated like human beings.
    Oh, I thought it was because Jesus hung out with fishermen, and we know what big liars THEY are!

Top Bottom