• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    Not sure this is the right section, but it's kind of training to me so here's my deal..

The last few times I've gone to shoot I've started hitting high and left. Like in the 10-11 o'clock area. I've read some on what I may be doing, and looked at a couple of different analysis charts that nailed it down to "trigger pushing" or "lack of follow through." My problem is that I'm not quite sure what is meant by these terms in relation to handguns. Could someone give me an explanation and maybe a good suggestion or two on how to correct it? Seems to be just a new trend for me, usually don't have any issues and I know with other things it helps to have an extra set of eyes, so to speak, to "fix" me. Maybe even just a good explanation of the terms will help me "fix" myself.

BTW, charts I looked at are
    http://www.pskm.be/Pistol_Shot_Analysis.pdf
    http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/sa-xd-...on-pistol-correction-chart-w-xdtalk-logo.html

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    "Pushing" the trigger is usually meant to describe when you don't have the pad of your finger properly on the trigger and instead of pressing straight back, you are sort of pushing across the trigger as you press it.

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    "Pushing" the trigger is usually meant to describe when you don't have the pad of your finger properly on the trigger and instead of pressing straight back, you are sort of pushing across the trigger as you press it.

So more or less, instead of bending the finger to depress the trigger, it's more like sliding across? I'm trying to do this sans gun right now and it looks like if i don't bend the finger it pulls my entire hand to the left...so if I understand right, makes perfect sense and I deserves to be slapped in the back of the head Gibbs style...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If you aren't hitting your point-of-aim it just means you are moving the gun and not holding it still while you bring the trigger to the rear.

Don't do that. ;)

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    Nice reply Evan. It really is that simple, in concept, sometimes a bit tougher in practice.

Agree that it seems that it's simple in concept...and not really that tough in practice...but it really sucks when your "practice" is messed up for an unknown reason. But I know a couple of things now to hopefully correct it the next time I'm at a range. Thanks for the replies all :)

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    you need to put your finger in more when you are shooting and that will help with shooting left. In other words get a better bite on the trigger with your finger or move it so the trigger is closer to the crease in your finger or even on the crease. Also try this-get some snap caps aim down the sights and dryfire it and notice if your front sight moves to the right or left. If so adjust accordingly. As far as upper left I would just say don't anticipate the shot just pull the trigger. I still do both of these it takes practice ofcourse.

Top Bottom