• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive got a few things that are designed to be powered by a cigarette lighter, but draw too much current for one of the cheap wall wart 110 to 12v adapters. Things like an electric cooler, air mattress inflator, etc.

Anyone know of any converters that put out as much current as a car's cigarette lighter? I'm getting tired of having to take things to the car when I need to use the device.

And before the haters start, I know how to Google. I'm interested in ones that people have actually used that work well.

jlupacch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I have a 120 - 12 volt converter made by Coleman that I use for my 12 volt cooler. Truck stops are a good place to find them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No, doc. I'm going the other direction. 110VAC-->12VDC

I need a box that will plug into household AC and power high current (8-10amp) 12v car devices. NOT powering household devices in the car.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    No, doc. I'm going the other direction. 110VAC-->12VDC

I need a box that will plug into household AC and power high current (8-10amp) 12v car devices. NOT powering household devices in the car.
    You just need a Lamda (brand) DC power supply. Ill be back home on Tues and I'll look through my pile. (father's estate). So you need 12vdc @10a?

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Maybe look for an RV converter, they're designed to take 110v from a park hookup and convert it to 12v to power all the 12v accessories in an RV, so I'd guess there's plenty of output for what you need.

There are RV surplus stores all over the northern part of the state, where you could probably pick one up on the cheap.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I have a couple of em.

I have a large unit similar to this: Astron SS Series Switching Power Supplies SS-30 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at DX Engineering

That one's used for electric heat in camper. Had 12vdc heaters from somewhere, camper built with propane heat. Unlimited 110vac electric when you pay for hookup at the site, so converter and dcv heater no brainer

I have a few smaller ones like this: Winegard 12V Power Supply

I have two in use running old car audio components as garage stereos, one in each garage.

RV accessory shop is going to be your best bet if you don't want to look online. Even if you look online, look for RV converter units for the higher load ranges.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I have a couple of em.

I have a large unit similar to this: Astron SS Series Switching Power Supplies SS-30 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at DX Engineering

That one's used for electric heat in camper. Had 12vdc heaters from somewhere, camper built with propane heat. Unlimited 110vac electric when you pay for hookup at the site, so converter and dcv heater no brainer

I have a few smaller ones like this: Winegard 12V Power Supply

I have two in use running old car audio components as garage stereos, one in each garage.

RV accessory shop is going to be your best bet if you don't want to look online. Even if you look online, look for RV converter units for the higher load ranges.

You can find Astron power supplies at any amateur radio supply. R & L Electronics in Hamilton, OH is the closest.

Top Bottom