• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Are there any places in Indiana where you can do Appalachian style hikes?
    Like hike for a day, then sleep at a point in the trail with your tent.

I'm wanting to get into camping/hiking, so and that is specifically the kind of hiking I want to do.

If that is possible, I wondered if it was frowned upon to chop down trees or firewood upon and make contained fires (stone pit).

Not sure if I made my question(s) clear or if I am rambling on

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    Are there any places in Indiana where you can do Appalachian style hikes?
    Like hike for a day, then sleep at a point in the trail with your tent.

I'm wanting to get into camping/hiking, so and that is specifically the kind of hiking I want to do.

If that is possible, I wondered if it was frowned upon to chop down trees or firewood upon and make contained fires (stone pit).

Not sure if I made my question(s) clear or if I am rambling on

knob stone is ok but you really need to go to the Red River Gorge in Ky. Drive alittle farther much much better in my opinion. We spend a week there in April every year for the last 6. Great time The gorge has the most natural sand stone arches in the country out side of arches national park. Over a hundred if my memory serves. Let me know I can pull out some old maps and make trail recomendations and camp site locations w/ a stream nearby for water. This is truw back country back packing

climber409

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Franklin
    Start with morgan monroe loop.Knob stone is fun but a little tougher.Charles Dean wilderness by bloomington has some moderate hikes to get started on also.If you like it then I would also recommend red river gorge as I have been hiking it for 20+ years.The red is diffently more challenging than In.hikes.Only burn wood that you find on the ground!!! Backpacking is a great escape so enjoy!

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Knob Stone is great, but pretty easy. Won't prepare you for AT. I want to get to RRG but cannot speak for it yet. There is a little know place I go that has more vertical ascension and dissension per trail mile than the AT. It will rip you up fast. PM me about it, I'd like to keep it little known. If you get into back country packing and camping there are a lot of things you should know. Also, the grand canyon is a must. It is best done in March, after that it gets to bloody hot.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Second Red River Gorge and Swift Camp Creek area in KY. Been there many times in the winter. (Actually my favorite time to go there.) It is not that far of a drive and have done it many times for just a weekend. There are a lot of good places in KY within the Daniel Boone National Forest that are not that far of a drive. Hiking along the Sheltowee Trace (KY's version of the AT) can be more difficult than the AT in places in the Rock Castle River Area.

KY's trails are really worth checking out.

Dirty Steve

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    There's also the Adventure Trail in Wyandotte woods. It's a fast 2 day hike or a nice 3 day hike with some ups and downs, and it makes a loop.

The Adventure Trail is a great hike. Cold Friday Hollow is my preferred place to park and take off for a few days on the trail. You also have the option of stopping at certain points on the map to camp under a tilt shelter. There's a small log cabin near the Ohio River that you can use too. I need to get down there soon. It's been too long.

Wildcat45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    Being from KY I love the Gorge and would recommend it to anyone. There is also the buckeye trail over in Ohio that is close (never hiked any portion of it myself). Buckeye Trail That trail encircles the whole state and would prepare you for a long distance hike like the AT, albeit it is flat in the northern sections of the state. Inside IN you can't go wrong with Hoosier NF.

Top Bottom