• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Okay, so I have googled this numerous times and I get a lot speculation and opinions (followed by the usual arguing), but not exactly what I was looking for.

I took a beginner pistol class with my HK 45t last year. We were taught the usual 6 o'clock sight method. What I found though was that my HK required holding the front sight directly over, or covering my intended target to hit it at 7 yards. This is with 230 grain FMJ ammunition. It does have the Mepro factory sights, but they don't seem overly tall like some suppressor sights. At that time, I sortof chalked it up to poor marksman skills, (and so did the instructor) but I researched it and found someone saying that, because HK is not so much made for the civilian market, the handguns are sighted at the factory with a sight picture that requires the front sight to cover your target. As in, covering the target with the front sight dot would be more commonly used in military marksmanship...? I apologize if I seem awkward with the terminology. I ask another instructor about it and he said, "Putting the target on top of the front sight post is just the beginner sight picture method."

Now, I have a 1911 and it shoots very well with the target sitting just atop the FSP and my HK 45 still requires the FSP to cover the target with the same ammo. Any actual logic to that or just... well different?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    That could just be the way it was set-up at the factory or could just be chance. Just calculate the height you need for the POI you want and get a new front sight.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    HK is designed to put the dot on the spot you want the bullet to hit.
    Ha, okay, that is what I tried to tell the instructor after I researched it. He's a Glock guy and just chuckled. I agree, from my personal experience, but how do I explain that to someone significantly more experienced and knowledgeable than me?

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I find it interesting and revealing that a firearms instructor does not know that different manufactures setup the sight pictures of their handguns differently. Let alone that stacking of tolerances in the construction of any handgun can give different results even in the same model of gun from one sample to another.

Several years ago I saw a post on another forum that talked about the various sight pictures and the benefits to each. My GoogleFu must be weak today, I was not able to find that post. But I did stumble on another article that seems competent and well written with good visual examples. Maybe this will help.

http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/pistol_sighting.pdf

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I find it interesting and revealing that a firearms instructor does not know that different manufactures setup the sight pictures of their handguns differently. Let alone that stacking of tolerances in the construction of any handgun can give different results even in the same model of gun from one sample to another.

Several years ago I saw a post on another forum that talked about the various sight pictures and the benefits to each. My GoogleFu must be weak today, I was not able to find that post. But I did stumble on another article that seems competent and well written with good visual examples. Maybe this will help.

http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/pistol_sighting.pdf

I have not read that, thanks for finding it. Overall.... My issue was not that I couldn't find the difference between sight pictures, but it was that I couldn't find something to prove to him that I wasn't full of it about HK pistols. It was all in fun, as I didn't take it too seriously and neither did he, but when I told him that I think that HK pistols are setup to cover the target with the front sight, his response was a grin and a head shake. When I showed him my HK and the SA/DA safe/decocker setup his response was "Why would you ever want that!?!" We had a sort of friendly banter back and forth. During one classes he was showing us an AR 15 BCG and was talking about cleaning the bolt and how you don't need a special tool. He passed the bolt around the class to show how clean he had gotten it without a fancy tool. I was the last one to handle it, so I took my carbon removal tool to it and got it a good deal cleaner before handing it back to him. I laughed and said, "I got the rest of the carbon off of that for you."

Pretty nice guy and a very good marksman, I just think he didn't know (or like) HK firearms.

Top Bottom