• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    For a very precise, inch-pound tool to do small screws and scope mounts and the like, something like what 55Fairlane posted is the only way to be sure. I've looked at a lot of the consumer grade torque wrenches like the Wheeler and am just not impressed. Fix-it-sticks are well made, but by the time you pay for them you might as well get a legit machinist's tool.

I'll be honest, since almost all the work I do is on my own stuff or free for buddies, my current in-lb wrench is just a cheap harbor-freight job. I couldn't bring myself to pay more for a consumer-grade "gunsmithing" tool that isn't really any better...I'm currently casually watching the used market for deals on a real professional grade tool.

For AR barrel nuts and stuff of that nature, which allows for a broad range of relatively heavy torque, your typical Craftsman mechanic's click-type torque wrench will be fine, or even a cheap beam-type. I use the same wrenches for that stuff that I already had in my toolbox for working on cars.

You're ultimately going to end up with both an inch-pound and foot-pound wrench, as neither will do the other's job.
    Thank you. Fix it sticks are expensive and you can't get an exact torque spec for the price. HF for the win.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Some of what I use, albeit much older versions:

Then there are needle files, a stirrup die, a couple sight pushers, a sear jig, 0.250" radius guide, punches, and several other goodies I know I'm forgetting right now.

These are all for working mostly on 1911s and Mosins. Other firearms often require their own specialized tools.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom