• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt4shadow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Hobart
    Are you kidding me? Just watched a video of guys killing a hog with a knife while his dogs tugged on it. All the while he had an AR dangling from his one point sling. These videos are over the place. Make me relize how much respect I have for God's country, mother nature, and the animals that inhabit this planet. Has to be the most inhumane kill I've ever seen.:xmad:

I bet these guys just stroke their guns and pet their dogs thinking of ways to be a-holes.

Rant over, sorry guys.

Last edited:

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I personally like it. At least the hog has a chance of goring the dude with a knife. What chance does a hog have at 50 yards against a 5.56?

met eng gun nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The hog doesn't have a good chance of doing anything since you have a pack of dogs ripping the hogs ears off. Me I will take my new .450 bushmaster and "liquefy" the pests.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I've done it. It was a total blast. Have the skull on my wall and can't wait to go for the next one.

And when you've seen a boar rip a dog, you know that the hog very much does have a chance.

Now for some reality to balance Matt's emotions here. The ear grip by the dogs isn't as painful for the hog as you think. I've yet to see a dog break the skin. Also, I've killed hogs with a 30-06, a .44 mag and with a knife and the quickest, most humane kill was with the knife. Hogs die from bleeding and the knife induces much faster bleeding than a bullet.

As an aside, try this sport and you'll understand the lethal nature of someone armed with a knife, even when you have the gun.

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    I think it falls in that grey area, ethics. There are all kinds of videos out there. The worst in my mind, is the ones where there is obvious disregard for the animal. For example, there is a youtube video of a couple kids bowhunting rabbits and the rabbits are sitting there twitching (to be expected) but the "hunters" are laughing and are horribly disrespectful, I didn't even watch it all.
    Would I jump on a hog with a knife? probably not. But I am not skilled with a knife except for butchering a dead animal. I agree that a knife is probably easier on the animal, that is how our teacher killed our FFA hog for a hog roast and it was no drama. (I do not think dogs attacking it would be kinder...... however hogs are nusiance critters and need to be controlled......and I assume the dogs were tracking the hog)
    But when we decide to videotape a hunt, it is up to each hunter how they are viewed.
    Some of the best videos are actually those where the hunter decides not to take a unethical shot or lets a younger animal go, cause to me hunting is more than the kill. I think there is a added pressure to get your animal when you videotape.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Its a hog. Vermin. Not much different than a rat. Just a lot bigger. lol
    I have no problem with it. I don't know if I would have the guts to do it myself though.
    It was also legal.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I did it last time I went . Hell of a rush when 1 dog looses grip for a sec. Sometimes people bi**h before trying it. and your right , those dogs get cut up real regular .

matt4shadow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Hobart
    I've done it. It was a total blast. Have the skull on my wall and can't wait to go for the next one.

And when you've seen a boar rip a dog, you know that the hog very much does have a chance.

Now for some reality to balance Matt's emotions here. The ear grip by the dogs isn't as painful for the hog as you think. I've yet to see a dog break the skin. Also, I've killed hogs with a 30-06, a .44 mag and with a knife and the quickest, most humane kill was with the knife. Hogs die from bleeding and the knife induces much faster bleeding than a bullet.

As an aside, try this sport and you'll understand the lethal nature of someone armed with a knife, even when you have the gun.

Good point, I don't have a problem if it is done by a skilled huter that knows how to use a knife. Didn't relize the grip by the dog wasn't that bad. I guess the guy I watch just didn't know what he was doing. Just for the record, I am not a treehugger. I fully support pest control. I just couldn't see myself doing it.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Just made arrangements for another hog hunt tonight . Will be getting a spear , don't know that I will Rambo out of a tree though . My .458 Socom will be close by for sure .

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    There are some wild guys on this forum. Ha. I must be a wimp because those boars scare me to death. I heard stories from my grand pappy who's now long gone, about them ripping dogs to pieces. I wouldn't wanna lose a dog to one just for sport.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Good point, I don't have a problem if it is done by a skilled huter that knows how to use a knife. Didn't relize the grip by the dog wasn't that bad. I guess the guy I watch just didn't know what he was doing. Just for the record, I am not a treehugger. I fully support pest control. I just couldn't see myself doing it.

In all fairness, you're not the first hunter I know to have the same initial reaction to hog dogging. It seems much more violent that shooting a hog and in some ways it is but on the flip side, there are no poor, wounding shots in hog dogging that lead to an animal suffering for hours as it is tracked for another shot - which is a sometimes occurrence with using a gun or even a bow.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    yes the cold steel spear is what I'm getting . now learning to throw staight is my next problem . I might have to fall out of a tree to stab it .

Top Bottom