• ...and so much more!
  • ShotgunGuitarist

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2024
    Nashville, IN
    I make leather holsters. I prefer leather, and I have lined holsters with all kinds of materials. I carry an sp101 a lot, and the writing on the side has almost worn completely off the barrel and it is being carried in a standard leather holster. I’m wondering if anyone knows first hand if there is a material that is easier on the metal. Less “holster wear.” Horse hide? Suede? Kangaroo? Something synthetic? I have some higher end revolvers I’d like to carry, but I don’t want the same fate to befall them.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    What trapper said. Plus if you ever have an "incident", be prepared to lose it either permanently or for a significant length of time ( see Getting an impounded Firearm from Evidence, City County Building Downtown Indy).

I bought my relatively inexpensive CZ 75 D PCR expressly as an EDC, I expect it will get worn, dinged or confiscated eventually.

This is probably why glocks are so popular, they’re cheap, ubiquitous and nobody really cares what happens to them. And they’re already ugly.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Least likely?

Probably something Thermoplastic that indexes upon a WML - which, therefore, makes way less contact with the firearm itself.

just my thought, but I think quality thermoplastic, like Boltaron and Kydex, wear less than leather and cheap injection molded hot garbage like Fobus.

Leather holds on to grit if it gets dirty. And used firearms get dirty. And used holsters get dirty. And you can't hose them out like you can a plastic one.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There are some better than others. However, compromising your finish of your firearm should not be the first consideration. If you want a pristine gun to carry…don’t carry it.
    THIS. I sold my 1911 partly because it was too pretty to EDC. And I wanted something other than a safe queen at the time, so I sold it to fund another gun.
    #Beingapoorssucks

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    THIS. I sold my 1911 partly because it was too pretty to EDC. And I wanted something other than a safe queen at the time, so I sold it to fund another gun.
    #Beingapoorssucks
    I love my EDC compact 1911 BECAUSE of the wear. It looks like its been through hell because it might have. It was pretty when I bought it back in 2017. Now, the edges have worn the finish etc. It's a gun that gets carried and used. The "nice" one stays home except on special occasions and it looks like it has been pampered.

As for holsters, I just prefer leather. Kydex is fine, but I don't feel it "belongs" with a classic. Striker fired gun? Sure. 1911 or revolver? No.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    #Beingapoorssucks
    Unfortunately my RIA 10mm even though I try to keep it from getting worn, or banged up, and scratched it still happens. It isn't an expensive 1911, but i try to take care of all my firearms. However, edc, or hunting firearms are not range toys, and things happen. Just like your edc knife things happen like the tip of my Leek got messed up. Fixed now.
    Best to buy a reliable carry gun. One you will not care if it gets a worn finish, or dinged, and scratched up. Save the ones you think are pretty for BBQ, and range.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    It's as much about how it's made as what it's made from. A poorly fitted holster of any material will wear the finish. A well made one of any material will do far far less damage.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Kydex is the way. Clean and slick. Leather holds onto moisture, dirt, oil, and stretches and weighs more. Carry guns regardless of holster will take a beating. Glock in kydex is like peanut butter and jelly.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    The info i see in making holsters from leather to protect a handgun being used is swade sewn an glued inside.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    It's not necessarily the holster that causes the wear, it's the dirt and grit that gets between the holster and the gun.

I think this is often the case. And, it seems such abrasive material is more easily embedded into the surface of leather than it is a Kydex or thermal plastic holster.

So, since the thermal plastic/Kydex holsters are more resistant to the embedment of abrasive material, and are easier to clean, it stands to reason that in some ways, they’re easier on the finish of firearms. Ymmv.

Top Bottom