Holster use when riding horses, bikes, and such...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adventures47129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Clarksville
    I was just wondering... I spend a lot of time in the saddle of my horse riding some pretty rough ground with the occasional jump or two. Most of my riding is in the forest and I carry all the time. I had a real problem feeling comfortable with my pistol when I ride. (both comfort and security) I broke down and bought a Galco Silhouette Hi Ride Holster with thumb break. This has me feeling so much more secure. I am curious... I have seen that many on here ride horses, dirt bikes, 4 wheeler, and such. What holster do you use and why?

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    Depends on what you are carrying, I perferred a cross draw holster for a ruger blackhawk 6.5 in barrel 357 mag. Now if and when I ride, i just carry a longgun in a scabbard hanging down on the right side or in a leather holder I made that hooks to the horn on the saddle.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I have a Honda 400ex sport quad I ride around my place alot. I always have my 1911 on in a crossbreed supertuck, I have never had a problem. Not even a little slip, and I jump my quad quite a bit!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Depends on what you are carrying, I perferred a cross draw holster for a ruger blackhawk 6.5 in barrel 357 mag. Now if and when I ride, i just carry a longgun in a scabbard hanging down on the right side or in a leather holder I made that hooks to the horn on the saddle.

It was good for the cavalry. I figure they knew a lot more about carrying a pistol in that position than I ever will.

parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I mountian bike and I carry my 1911 in a blackhawk paddle serpa and never had a problem. I have even jumped off my roof with holster on and the gun never moved. Only prob is that it does not ride as close to my body as I would like as I am thin and have no "padding" to help conceal a full size 1911. But it is my favorite cold weather carry rig.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If I were so inclined:

I'd get a nice chest rig or a shoulder holster if I were going to be in a saddle all day.

-J-

Top Bottom