• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mmorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    My son is 9yrs old, I always show him on the news or online if there are new stories of kids and gun accidents just so he knows what can happen. I want my son to know I have firearms, I want my son to respect firearms, and learn about them in a controlled atmosphere. He watches Top Shot and he loves it, so I'm going to get him a .22 rifle and teach him to shoot at targets but show him there is so much more to using a gun then just point and squeeze.

John778

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Teach your kids EVERYTHING about safe gun handling. Kids are curious about what they do not know. If they know not to touch a gun unless Dad or Mom says so, so many bad things can be avoided. Education is priceless. If you gun is locked and unloaded, then you don't have a gun. You have a club. And not a very effective club. Just MHO. Nest wishes for whatever you decide is best for you.

Ditto :rockwoot:

mmorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Thanks Ricnzak for the links, my wife and I disagreed on how we would handle having a gun (handgun) in the house. She didnt want my son to know I have it, I on the other hand wanted him to know I have it and what it looks like so if he ever comes across it he knows to not touch it and get one of his parents. Its better to KNOW what to avoid then to NOT KNOW what to avoid.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    She didnt want my son to know I have it,

If you make it a mystery, and forbid him to see, touch, or learn about it, he WILL find it, and most likely figure out access to it. Kids are very adept in that regard. If YOU act like it's no big deal, and teach only to answer questions, (initially ), he won't think all that much of it either. At least that's the result I've experienced with two sons, and three grandsons.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Thanks Ricnzak for the links, my wife and I disagreed on how we would handle having a gun (handgun) in the house. She didnt want my son to know I have it, I on the other hand wanted him to know I have it and what it looks like so if he ever comes across it he knows to not touch it and get one of his parents. Its better to KNOW what to avoid then to NOT KNOW what to avoid.
    When I had small children, at home, when I brought a new firearm, home I called everyone in to the living room, and I showed all, the new piece, let them all handle it and then told them all about it asked if they had any questions, and then put it away if they wanted to see it or touch it, all they had to do was to ask.....
    as far as home protection, my edc, was on the nightstand, it was a semi auto, I had the "kids" try to work the action, as long as they couldn't, it just was out in the open, mag in, chamber empty, when they, were old enough, and strong enough to work the action, then I went to revolvers....

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I'm on my second marriage and have three little one's. My older kids from previous marriage both learned about guns when they were young and they both live on their own and still shoot. My kids now are 5 and under and we just started bb guns and it's amazing how little they pay attention to them when they are well educated. I keep all weapons in my safe but if I left one out I feel pretty good about them knowing what to do. I'm more worried about the people who have kids who have never held a gun, education is everything..

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If someone kicks in yer front door, and your firearm is elsewhere, you, and your family are toast. ...

A few thoughts.

First, I'd echo what Jay says here. The home invasion situations we're seeing seem to develop very quickly. I suggest folks consider carrying "even" while at home. It offers the fastest access, you retain control over the firearm, and it conditions you to carry (which many people should probably be doing more of anyway). Backup guns can be stored in a rapid access manner.

I'm a bit wary of biometric systems because I've seen several that just aren't reliable. I like mechanical/electric code systems - they're more reliable and offer pretty fast access. I'm also not a big fan of keyed systems unless you commit to ALWAYS carrying the key on your person.

On education - the kids all get it when they're old enough. The chief risk here in my view is the potential for them to tell other people things they should not (loose lips sink ships and all that). So they also get education on discretion.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

I remember when I was a kid, and I see it in my 7 year old now: you may THINK that just because you don't tell them you have something that they won't know it. It is FAR FAR better to be open and honest about having a gun, and teach them to not touch without permission. Otherwise, in their explorations, they WILL find it, and, not having any instruction, WILL pick it up to study it.

The ONLY time I don't advocate honesty and openness in a family is when you are faced with the dreaded question: "Am I gaining weight?" The only POSSIBLE response to that, as any husband knows, is to flee.

gibby101

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Liberty
    Teach your kids EVERYTHING about safe gun handling. Kids are curious about what they do not know. If they know not to touch a gun unless Dad or Mom says so, so many bad things can be avoided. Education is priceless. If you gun is locked and unloaded, then you don't have a gun. You have a club. And not a very effective club. Just MHO. Nest wishes for whatever you decide is best for you.

agreed

Top Bottom