• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I'm researching purchasing a back up stand by generator for my home.

I'd sure be interested in any of your experiences with purchasing, installation, operating costs and maintenance of said generator.

Budget is not to exceed $6k. (Less if I install myself which I've not decided yet)
    Natural Gas for fuel.
    200amp service disconnect.
    17kW +/-.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    JD

Thanks for the comments!!

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Do you need a full 17kw, or are you basing that on total load if you ran everything at once?

For your budget you might be pushing it, but it can be done. For about that kind of money, you can probably get something in the 10-12kw range which should suffice as well.

FWIW, I've been able to use a 5kw set to run essential lighting, fridge, freezer, microwaive, and a few other circuits. What I don't have is AC and Heating...which may be why you are looking for a larger set.

I was able to wire it into my home directly and the entire package cost me less than $1000. It is gasoline powered and manual start, though, so a little dirrent that what you might be looking for.

Here's a good place to do some research, and also some great sets.

Cummins Onan

gvbcraig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Southwest Fort Wayne
    I had a Generac 15kw installed about 4 years ago. Run's off my LP tank, self test 20 minutes each week. Was great about two years ago when we had ice storms. Ran for 3 or 4 days straight. I have my HVAC unit and water pump connected to it, all ref. & freezers, one TV, bedroom clocks and lamps, all computer and telecommunications. One thing I forgot to include... my garage door opener. kinda hard getting into a garage with electric operator.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Have you looked into what it's going to cost to run this genset 24/7? I ended up going with a military diesel 10k generator that is capable of 15k. I put in a manual 400 amp transfer switch at my meter base.

Myself, I don't want a generator to run 24/7. Especially one that big as a majority of the time, you don't use all that much power. My plan is to run the genset 2-4 hours a day. Get showers, do some cooking, etc.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    We just finished our installation last weekend. We went with the Generac 20K and a service entrance rated 200 amp transfer switch. We were able to do that for right at 6K with a professional electrician, and my sweat equity. We replaced a 14K with a 12 breaker panel, and now have the whole house on the generator system.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I did the same thing as The Keymaster ^^.

I went with an company out of Crete, Illinois called Generator Technologies. So far it only had to run a few times, once for 6 hours and once for a few hours. I was without power for days at least twice in the last 9 years, thats what made me get it.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I just have a little 2500 watt gas generator that has kept my fridge, freezer, a few lights and my furnace blower running through the ice storms. I fell heir to a 5k that needs a rectifier, thinking of converting it to run on NG and put it at the side of the house to run without requiring re-fueling.

Top Bottom