• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    We just moved from a house with a well (and incredible water) to a house on city water that tastes awful and smells marginal. I know, shoulda' stayed put, but that wasn't working out. So .... what do you folks use that you love? I need to put something small on my icemaker line and then something on the kitchen sink and probably on the washer connection. Or maybe on all the hot water? I'm not sure how to get this whole situation solved, but my immediate priorities are kitchen cold water and the icemaker.

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    Get a water softener. I wouldn't suggest kinetico...

I have a softener ... that's not the problem. the water tastes awful (and the cold in the kitchen is not soft). Plus, I don't want to drink soft water. Just don't like it and never have had my kitchen cold water soft.

kevincullman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Kosciusko county
    I've worked in water the conditoning ind. for 24 years. A water softener is designed for hardness and iron only (FYI). An R.O. system is infact the best choice for drinking water, pretreatment of a water softener is always a plus. A carbon system or multi-media filter is designed for smell. Call your local culligan man and get a water test at no charge!

Last edited:

br2710

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Wayne County
    If the well is easy to get to, pour 2 cups of bleach down the well. Wait a couplle of hours and then run the hose outside until the bleach smell is gone, I have to do that every couple of years to get rid of th sulfer smell. I aslo have a rope style filter for the whole house plus it goes through the softner. The cold line to the kitchen goes through another rope filter and then through a carbon filter. This line also feeds the ice machine

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    RO-45 Premium Reverse Osmosis System & Drinking Water Filters | APEC Water

We had this filtering our well water (which tasted awesome anyway). Our water from the RO was better than anything I ever purchased. 45 gallons a day is never needed, but if you empty the storage tank, it will refill much faster than a 10-gallon/day sytem.

We split the tubing to supply the fridge but there was a pressure drop and the on-door water dispenser was pretty slow but the icemaker worked fine. We also routed it into the basement to supply the sink there with tasty drinking water. I miss that house.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I bought an undersink RO system when I moved to my house 2 years ago. It has served me well. Yes, it takes up a good bit of room under the sink, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

My system cost $100 at Menards (it was on clearance at the time).

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    Thanks all for the great input. I'm moving the last stuff today and then I'll hit the trail for an RO system. Since this is a rental, I may go cheap and see how it goes at first. Updates after I make a decision and give it a try. Oh, and I'll probably get that free water assessment too.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Thanks all for the great input. I'm moving the last stuff today and then I'll hit the trail for an RO system. Since this is a rental, I may go cheap and see how it goes at first. Updates after I make a decision and give it a try. Oh, and I'll probably get that free water assessment too.
    As long as you install it with reasonable "planning" in mind, you can always install it so it can be removed and taken with you in the future. I always try to install things with "adaptability", and "flexibility" in mind. If it can be installed with a union, thread together fitting, quick connect etc instead of gluing it then that is the route I prefer to go.

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    As long as you install it with reasonable "planning" in mind, you can always install it so it can be removed and taken with you in the future. I always try to install things with "adaptability", and "flexibility" in mind. If it can be installed with a union, thread together fitting, quick connect etc instead of gluing it then that is the route I prefer to go.

I like it. Thanks. I lived in my last house 31 years, so flexibility was not a priority in my project plans LOL ... BUT - flexibility is definitely a top three priority in my retirement years. That's the main reason we're renting ... may want to move sometime soon!!!!

BTW, I was shocked to see that the Whirlpool system at Lowes for $150 was top-rated on some independent site. Not sure I believe them, but was interesting to see.

Top Bottom