• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    So I have this blade that im going to put a handle on, and I have a couple of questions.
    1. should the wood go from the bottom to the yellow arrow or the Orange arrow?
    2. (RED ARROW) is pointing the edge of the knife that has some semi circles on the edge. I was wondering what those were for.

WP_000677.jpg

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    That's kind of a weird shape around where your arrows are. If it weren't for the holes on the blank I'd say to bring the grind back to the third or middle hole and start your handles at or slight toward the blade of the yellow arrow.

As it is I'd agree with going to the red arrow. If you have the tools I would reshape the area between the yellow and red arrows with a nice arc.

Out of curiosity where did the blade come from?

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Me personally, I'd take the scales half way between the yellow and red arrows and give it a crescent shape with the high side of the crescent toward the tip of the blade. Just like the line where the original scales were. You can see the line where the scales used to be.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    Me personally, I'd take the scales half way between the yellow and red arrows and give it a crescent shape with the high side of the crescent toward the tip of the blade. Just like the line where the original scales were. You can see the line where the scales used to be.

Plus 1 between the yellow and red arrows.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    What you have is a Hudson Bay Roach Belly style blade.

Here's an idea of what it's supposed to look like from a historical perspective: Knives, with leather belt sheaths from The Bear Tooth Leather Company

Originally the wood was lower than the yellow area. Where you see brighter metal is the only area there was a wood slab. The rest was exposed metal.

With the area that the red arrow is pointing at, wouldn't it be more like this?

Knives, with leather belt sheaths from The Bear Tooth Leather Company

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    French ball refers to the handle style, specifically the ball on the end of the handle in those pics. It's still a HB Roach Belly, kinda like a Bowie has different variations but is still a Bowie. The markings are sometimes put in the blade, sometimes not. I believe those were actually a symbol carved in by HBC to indicate their knives and some guys put them in and some don't. I'd have to check on that to make sure though. I'm sure among the hardcore rendezvousers there's a whole symbolism to carrying one without HBC markings to indicate you're a free trapper or something like that.

Top Bottom