• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Have any of you other knife makers made any seat belt cutters or rescue tools? Im making a couple mini keychain seat belt cutters right now and am going to start a larger belt cutter and glass popper tomorrow. Im wondering how to go about sharpening the belt cutter. I guess it would be the same as sharpening a gut hook but ive never done that either. Dad said to try a chain saw sharpening bit in a dremel. Any other ideas? Right now im using sand paper on a chainsaw file which works but is super slow.

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    I have only done one gut hook myself. I used a mini D file for the sided, then down to a mini round. Then used the same tools with high grit paper around them to sharpen (600,1000,1500,2000).
    I would believe a dremel would work to get your initial shaping done but after that, I would use slow-mo.
    Hopefully, someone else might be able to answer better with a few tricks up their sleeves and we will both learn.
    Troy

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    My dad said he made the initial cut with the chainsaw file and then used the dremel chainsaw sharpener to sharpen it when he did his gut hook knives. I have one fairly sharp using sand paper wrapped around the chainsaw file but it takes more force than i want to cut seat belt webbing.

Heres a pic of what I am doing the top one is the first one so it is kind of rough around the edges the bottom ones are have the bevels cut and need to be drilled and hardened.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would approach it the same way you would a serrated edge, but you essentially have just one serration.

You can get tapered sharpeners designed for serrations with diamond abrasives. I have a Lansky that folds that works pretty well and you can get them in various grits. You can also find ceramic files in a similar elongated cone shape.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Thanks Rhino you reminded me that we have a diamond rod somewhere around here i can try. Never been good at sharpening serrations though might have to recruit dad to help me out with that.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Think of it as filing a specific shape and you'll be fine. Then, if that shape you're making just happens to be really sharp and a good cutting edge, you've tricked yourself into sharpening! HAHA!

A big benefit of using diamond abrasives on cutting edges is that it produces a "grabby" edge that slices fibrous materials much better than highly polished edges, especially with stainless alloys. That's the kind of edge you want to slice a nylon seatbelt strap. I've seen some beautifully polished edges that will push cut paper, chop, and shave live a champ, but would then slide across a piece of rope when you try to slice it. However, I don't know how it will work with a hook like you're making, since it will essentially be a push cutting tool like a chisel. A polished edge might be a better bet, so some experimenting would be in order.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I couldn't find my diamond stick so we ran to ace and big r to pick up a chainsaw file and some dremel chainsaw stones. The stones did the trick it seems, but I need to bump up the temper temperature since my edge chipped. I am going to let some buddies use a couple when they get their derby cars to test them out. today i am going to start one with a larger handle with a window popper on the bottom.

They kind of look like a swans head to me so i tried to come up with some cool sounding words but Im stuck at maybe "S.W.A.N." cutter Strap Webbing And Nylon cutter:dunno:

Top Bottom