• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    just finished my first 20 .375 ruger round and I'm not crazy about the hornady dies I wonder if i sent fired and unfired rounds and a check to lee can they make the dies or since its such a new round is hornady the only option

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Hornady dies can be a PITA IMO. They seem tight or something compared to others. I seem unable to load any amount of loads with my Hornady dies without a stuck case. And they always have that screeching sound.

I am not sure what die company makes custom dies but they are some out there.

sakima

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    Custom Dies

You may want to check with RCBS. I recently saw a segment on one of the TV outdoor programs that visited the RCBS facility. I'm pretty sure they had a custom die section.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Hornady dies have always performed well, I would check my lubing process, You won't get better dies at Lee for sure,
    You haven't really said what your problem is so no body can do anything but throw out general statements and slams to products.

What is happening,

If the cases are sticking you need a good lube applied correctly

if the cases are denting you need to back off the lube

My procedure is to take some gun scrubber and swabs and clean the inside of the dies well then I spray the heck out of them with hornady one shot and I mean I get the lube into every surface and nook, I let the lube drip out of the die and give it a while to completly gas off the lube carrier

then I use a loading block and spray the cases with the mouth up and of course get a smidge in the case mouth, Then I use another loading block and put in on my cases and invert the whole thing so the bases are up in the air then I give a light hit to the bases of the cases, I have found that when I have trouble 90% of the time its from not lubing the last 1/4 of the case

I have used every lube on the market and keep coming back to hornady One shot with the understanding that you have to shake the can up and a can is ruined if it freezes (gets down to 25 or under) I used to have an unheated shop and I've found that if the lube getts down below freezing that it seems to seperate to the point where I can't get it to re mix to satisfaction.

give us some detail

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Also interested to hear the actual complaint about the hornady dies. Lee can likely cut you a die - although it'll be pretty pricey and likely no better than what you've already got from Hornady.

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    the problem is no matter how much i tighten the zip spindle for the die capping pin it pulls out of the die when sizing

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I tried hornady one shot and Lyman case lube and put just a little inside the cas neck. it's my first time using the dies I'm not anti hornady just a bad start

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    I really like current production Hornady dies (as well as RCBS and Redding). The Hornady sets that I've been using in recent years are for 9mm, and 7.5 Swiss. In addition, I'm using RCBS for 38/357, Redding for 303 British, and both RCBS and Redding Universal Decap Dies.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Hornady One Shot is definitely the way to go for lubing pistol/rifle cases.

However, RCBS Case Lube (or a similar product) is helpful for isolated problems.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Hornady designed the cartridge, makes all the brass and as far as I'm concerned has the best sizing die internal dimensions for this cartridge.

Granted, Ruger chambers can be all over the board - but that's another issue.

Measure the expander ball first, they are typically right on at .375".

Call Hornady, 800-338-3220, ask for the parts department.

Tell them what is going on, they'll likely offer an entire zip spindle assembly with the lock collet and expander ball.

If you can't get it done, let me know and I'll get them coming.

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I started over took the die apart gave it a good cleaning and carefully put it back together then I took a wrench and tightened the spindle lock as tight as I could. I'm going to lube 10 more cases and give it a try

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    well, its working fine now. I had to tighten the spindle lock with every thing I had but Just finished 10 rounds and no problems. Is it normal to have to tighten the spindle lock on hornady dies with so much force?

Top Bottom