• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    I did some target practice with my 300prc today. I had my Magnetospeed mounted to check bullet velocity. My question or concern is about the results. I'm shooting Hornady Match 225gr 300prc, the box states that the muzzle velocity is 2810fps. I was recording anywhere from 2300 to 2900. Seems like a wide range with the SD being crazy, average was 2578fps. I will be reloading ASAP but is this variance or lack of precision common? Bright side, I was still able to hit my target at a decent distance, just want it to be more consistent.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    IMO, that is likely a chrono issue. An actual 600 FPS difference in velocity from round to round would be easily detectable at the shoulder and there would be little doubt about some of the rounds being under powered. Assuming that is not the case, I'd be calling Magnetospeed.

BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    IMO, that is likely a chrono issue. An actual 600 FPS difference in velocity from round to round would be easily detectable at the shoulder and there would be little doubt about some of the rounds being under powered. Assuming that is not the case, I'd be calling Magnetospeed.
    Makes me wonder, I didn't buy the chrono new but it seemed accurate on the first box of ammo used. Made me think though. I was shooting @ about 750 yrds and I had several holes in the 10 shot string dead center side to side but about 6 or 8 inches low. Just one more thing to look into.

Top Bottom