• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Ive seen both of these types of ammo but whats the differance? Id be shooting it in 9mm but ive seen more TAP around then i have Critical Defense. I was wondering if they are both good is one better then the other?

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I prefer the Tap over the CD for a couple reasons, but mostly their powder has one of the lowest flash points and they penetrate more. That being said, I still prefer Federal HST's for my carry round.

If your going to purchase a sidearm, holster, belt, mag holster, train and become proficient with your sidearm, doesn't it make sense to go spend $100-$150 on 20 round boxes of the brand name stuff and see what YOUR sidearm likes? After all, you betting your life on your choices! It isn't hard at all and can be done quite cheaply with milk jugs of water, A trash can of water and deck or ladder to shoot from... and one of my favorites, a bail of insulation with various fabrics placed in front to show any difference in expansion.

And this doesn't even include more obvious tests such as homemade ballistic gel or shooting into a pork shoulder or deer caucus.

Just my :twocents:.

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    Ive seen both of these types of ammo but whats the differance? Id be shooting it in 9mm but ive seen more TAP around then i have Critical Defense. I was wondering if they are both good is one better then the other?

I found the following quote interesting...

"Any hollow point that expands does so at the cost of some penetration. In fact, just about every ballistics expert I've ever spoken to, regardless of which 'camp' he fell into, seemed to agree that there was a sweet-spot for penetration and too much beyond that was a waste at best and at worst an unnecessary danger."

Critical Defense is designed NOT to clog as it passes through clothing, this allows it to achieve CONSISTENT expansion WITHOUT over-penetration. In other words... it hits that 'sweet-spot'.

Many people on this board carry CD... I don't know of anyone who carries TAP.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I carry critical defense in my SR9c, and TAP in my M&P9. The TAP has more recoil than the Critical Defense, so it is more suited to larger guns than it is to compacts.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Looks like i need to find some CD then. Ive seen alot of good stuff about it! I just havent seen anything about TAP so i thought i would throw it out there. Ill just have to keep looking

Top Bottom