How are the Marlin 795LTR's working out?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Nov 25, 2008
    At one point in time I was really excited to buy a 795LTR and never did for whatever reason. Lately I've been thinking about very lightweight 22lr's and it came back into my mind. I see that they're still available and pretty reasonably priced. I think Buds has them for $200. I'm going to assume the rifle is well worth it reliability and quality wise, but they've been out long enough that it never hurts to ask.

On another note, how is the Appleseed Project doing? Is it growing in popularity or slowing down?

Last edited:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Teddy12B, sad to say, but Appleseed dismissed all but one or two of it's Indiana Instructors. It's been almost a year and it still stings to have been treated so. There are a few AS scheduled for Indiana, but the majority of instructors will be traveling from other states and most of those events will be up north being covered by Michigan instructors.

Those of us who were dismissed have begun a new program, along with the other dismissed instructors from KY, So. IL, So. Ohio, Idaho & Nevada. It is similar to AS but with more variety and a broader view. It's called Revere's Riders. You can find us here on INGO in the Training sub-forum. All the talented instructors from AS are still out there teaching marksmanship skills and fighting for our Liberties. If you post this question in the RR's sub-form I'm sure you will get responses on the reliability and pros/cons of the rifle.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I can comment on the rifle. I bought one for my son. So long as they are clean the rifle runs fine. Dirty gun and you star seeing light strikes. Mags are a bit pricey at $20 each and a bit tough for youngsters to swap. The trigger is what you would expect in an inexpensive rifle. Tech sights are awesome and the little gun will shoot. I give it a thumbs up for out of the box affordability.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Nov 25, 2008
    Teddy12B, sad to say, but Appleseed dismissed all but one or two of it's Indiana Instructors. It's been almost a year and it still stings to have been treated so. There are a few AS scheduled for Indiana, but the majority of instructors will be traveling from other states and most of those events will be up north being covered by Michigan instructors.

Those of us who were dismissed have begun a new program, along with the other dismissed instructors from KY, So. IL, So. Ohio, Idaho & Nevada. It is similar to AS but with more variety and a broader view. It's called Revere's Riders. You can find us here on INGO in the Training sub-forum. All the talented instructors from AS are still out there teaching marksmanship skills and fighting for our Liberties. If you post this question in the RR's sub-form I'm sure you will get responses on the reliability and pros/cons of the rifle.

Sounds like some drama went down. I didn't know about it, that's sad to hear. I'll look into the Revere's Riders. I've been thinking about one of the shoots, so I could get tuned up on fundamentals of marksmanship from different firing positions. Almost sorry I brought it up now.....

308jake

Master
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Don't be sorry Teddy. Things happen and where one door closes, another opens. Reveres Riders has some great events scheduled in 2016 and we will be adding more. Come on out.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I own several LTR's. One of which has been used almost exclusively as a loaner for students at both Appleseed and Revere's Riders events. Total round count is in excess of 5,000 rounds.

All the things that people complained most about with the LRT out of the box have all but disappeared. The trigger has definitely smoothed out and magazines nearly drop free. I'm pretty good about keeping my rifles clean, but there have been more than one occasion that I just couldn't do any more than pull a bore snake through the barrel and wipe down the exterior before the rifle was used again. Only once did I experience any trouble with accumulated grunge in the receiver, but a few squirts of Breakfree CLP and quick scrubbing of the bolt face, and it was good to go to finish the event. As a result of all this use, the bolt has polished up very nicely, while the bolt buffer still looks brand new.

The one thing that I didn't like about the LTR out of the box was the sling. The 1" nylon sling was too much like a tourniquet on my arm, so I swapped it out for a 1-1/4" cotton sling.

You'd do well to pick up a Marlin 795 LTR or two.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Don't forget you can sell the Appleseed certificate for whatever you can get for it to defray the cost of the rifle a bit more if you don't plan on attending an Appleseed event. (Or be a nice guy and give away/donate it.)

Pitmaster

Expert
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Sounds like some drama went down. I didn't know about it, that's sad to hear. I'll look into the Revere's Riders. I've been thinking about one of the shoots, so I could get tuned up on fundamentals of marksmanship from different firing positions. Almost sorry I brought it up now.....

Depending upon where you live Michigan, Illinois, Ohio might be options.

brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    I know of at least one Revere's Riders Event Director who will allow you redeem that Appleseed certificate at a Revere's Riders event. I say use it for yourself and head on down to Bedford in April.

C ya,

brian

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    I'll honor that certificate. I was on the development team for the thing I might as well acknowledge it even if Appleseed turned its back on it.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    My Marlin 795 is a great rifle, until I got my CZ it was my favorite. I believe either Brown or Huff shot it to verify the idea of a 795 LTR as I had modified Tech sights on it before tech sights cataloged them. Once broke in it will run with anything, and outshoot most any semi-auto out of the box.

The mags dislike dropping free, M1a won't do it either.
    Sling is too small. You are slinging up too tight (IME).
    It's too light. That is the AR15s biggest claim to fame over the M1.
    The stock is youth sized. The length of pull is the same as my M1, my Enfield, and my Mosin.
    The trigger reach is long. Yep, it is, why they did that baffles me.
    The mag release is awkward. Yep, wish I knew how to change that.
    It's not a Ruger. For those who worship at the alter of a million accessories, that can be a deal breaker.

It has a heavy Marlin MicroGroove barrel with a fairly tight chamber. Find the ammo it likes and it will reward you with cloverleaf groups at 25 yards after 500 to 1000 rounds. Use ammo it doesn't like and it will still shoot a Rifleman score.

I saw a lot of them on the line and they always performed exceedingly well. Reliable, accurate, and consistent. It is still my first recommendation for a new shooter. The fact it is a budget priced rifle is just icing on the cake.

YHJ

grunt soldier

Master
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    My Marlin 795 is a great rifle, until I got my CZ it was my favorite. I believe either Brown or Huff shot it to verify the idea of a 795 LTR as I had modified Tech sights on it before tech sights cataloged them. Once broke in it will run with anything, and outshoot most any semi-auto out of the box.

The mags dislike dropping free, M1a won't do it either.
    Sling is too small. You are slinging up too tight (IME).
    It's too light. That is the AR15s biggest claim to fame over the M1.
    The stock is youth sized. The length of pull is the same as my M1, my Enfield, and my Mosin.
    The trigger reach is long. Yep, it is, why they did that baffles me.
    The mag release is awkward. Yep, wish I knew how to change that.
    It's not a Ruger. For those who worship at the alter of a million accessories, that can be a deal breaker.

It has a heavy Marlin MicroGroove barrel with a fairly tight chamber. Find the ammo it likes and it will reward you with cloverleaf groups at 25 yards after 500 to 1000 rounds. Use ammo it doesn't like and it will still shoot a Rifleman score.

I saw a lot of them on the line and they always performed exceedingly well. Reliable, accurate, and consistent. It is still my first recommendation for a new shooter. The fact it is a budget priced rifle is just icing on the cake.

YHJ

listen to this guy! He is a wise man

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Top Bottom