• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Monster Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Hamilton County
    I bought a Sig 551A1 SBR a couple of years ago, and I have yet to shoot it. I've been thinking of selling it to fund another toy. Is the only way to sell is to sell it to a dealer? Or is it perhaps OK to arrange a sale and then go to a Class 3 dealer for processing/holding?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You can sell it to another in-state resident and only pay one transfer tax, no dealer needed. If you sell it to an out-of-state resident, you'll have to pay a tax to transfer it to that dealer and then another tax to transfer it to the buyer.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    VUPD nailed it. It's a bit tricky but it's little different than any regular FTF. The only difference is that you hang on to the SBR until the stamp comes in. For this reason some may not be comfortable paying you for the rifle and relying on you (an unknown) to hold on to it for six months without shooting it, damaging it, etc.. I've sold two like this and allowed the buyer of the second rifle to pay half up front and then the other half when the stamp came in.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I'm not familiar with your rifle so in not sure what it would look like, but you can also have an extended flash hider pinned and welded to it to make the barrel length over 16" and sell it as you would any normal rifle. It's advised to let the ATF know to remove it from the registry, but that's as simple as mailing a letter to them. Then you can sell the rifle face to
    face or ship straight to an ffl in another state. If the buyer wants to sbr it, it's an F1 vs an F4 and the same $200 for them.

Top Bottom