• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    I sometimes do work for a commercial tree service and poison ivy ranks right up there with electrical lines and stinging insects on my list of least favorite occupational hazards. I carry a box of individually packaged IVY X towelettes. Wiping down within a few hours of exposure usually prevents it for me. They are also great for wiping down chainsaws, weed trimmers, and guns. If you're extra sensitive to the urushiol, use the wipes immediately after exposure and then shower with Technu as soon as it becomes feasible.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a batch of poison Ivy on a fence line at the back of my property. Tried killing it a few times but it always seems to come back. Even cut it way back and used the best vegetation killer I could find last year and thought I had gotten rid of it during last years drought. But in came back and I had to do battle with it again. The best thing that works for me is asap after exposure is get the clothes off and wash them then get in the shower and use SOAP in the shower and lather up really well at least three times. What causes the allergic reaction is the oil produced by the plant. Soap will break it up and wash it off. Now I rarely get even a mild case and long as I do the shower thing. There are also shots you can get from your doctor before the Season. My mother is Extremely allergic and the shots did the trick. Benadryl will also relieve some of the symptoms.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Why not just plant some jewelweed? It's sap is a natural remedy for the reaction to the oils on poison ivy. It likes damp areas that are partially shaded with low acid soil.

I'm lucky and immune to the stuff. I test it out every year by rubbing a bit on my leg. No rash, I go to town getting rid of it on our property and our neighbors.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Dish soap and cold water. Hot water will spread the oil. I am lucky. I can swim in it without issue. My late wife would catching just being in the same zip code.

indiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I thought I was immune to, and so did my goddaughter, but last week we learned differently! So what is the best remedy for after it starts itching and blistering?

CountryGunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Thorntown
    Pramitol at TSC usually kills it. Need to mix with water. As far as on-skin contact, Pre-X towelettes seem to work well. Also we get cortisone shots every year.

Top Bottom