How difficult is my range time training going to be?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Maybe I can use the training to apply for my UT permit? That would be cool. I'll have to ask.

Utah requires specific training. There are people around who teach those classes. If the class is Utah, then you are covered. If not, you will need a separate class.

NRA basic Pistol WILL work however, for the Florida non-resident permit if I recall correctly..

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    When I went through the NRA instructor's course to be able to teach the CCW class for Michigan (I'm assuming that should have had stricter provisions than your basic class) it was silly how easy it was.

We had to put like 60-ish rounds in a paper plate from 7 yards. It wasn't like "stand here and shoot 60 rounds." It was throughout a period of time doing different things. I can't remember exactly, but it was easy. About half the people in the class couldn't even do that and they still passed. If you aren't swinging the gun around acting like a moron and you can generally hit something in the direction of the target, you'll be just fine. I don't think about half the people in the class were qualified to teach airsoft basics by the end...let alone CCW classes and everyone made it right through. Just my $0.02 though.

Needless to say I didn't get the warm and fuzzy from that class or group.

This is disturbing to hear. There are specific shooting and classroom requirements for NRA Basic Pistol.

To the OP, our simulator will allow you to use actual photos of different parts of your church as the background to multiple shoot-no shoot scenarios, with software that imposes good and bad guys alike on that background. They can even talk to you! The software will also evaluate your holster draw mechanics to make sure you are presenting efficiently and accurately.

I would recommend NRA Basic Pistol, then our Intro to Defensive Pistol Course, (done on the simulator) and then our intermediate course where you use the techniques taught in the sim, on the range with live ammo.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Just gonna put this right here, but perhaps it belongs in another forum?

My pastor came to me a few weeks ago and said that for insurance reasons he would like the couple of people in our church who carry to take a training course next month. Has something to do with being a "official" or what not. He asked if I was interested cost to be paid by church. Course I'm interested. (Pastor's real cool, it's not do this or don't carry. It's this will help the church, work with your schedule and pay for the class, if not it's cool to.)
    As I understand it will be an all day deal of class room and range time. It's going to be combo of UT permit and NRA basic course. (I believe I have that correct.)
    I'm good with taking paper tests and what not. I'm sure that's not problem. The part that's got me wondering is the range time. I get out to a range every couple of months or so for a few hours. I'm great, but I'm not bad. I can put them center mast from 25 yards at what I'd consider be a reasonable pace. Probably hit about a 90% target ratio when aiming for the center.

So my question is. "What should I expect the standard to be during range time?"

Is this training to be about proving you can handle and shoot a gun safely, or is it about dealing successfully with a violent situation at church? Is it about the people making the Sunday morning deposit being armed?

The exact nature of the problem you are trying to solve will dictate what type of training should be sought, and that will dictate how difficult the training and range exercises are.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If I was to accept the role of protecting the sheep, I would take my sheepdog training very very seriously. Regardless of passing a test or who is paying.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Is this training to be about proving you can handle and shoot a gun safely, or is it about dealing successfully with a violent situation at church? Is it about the people making the Sunday morning deposit being armed?

The exact nature of the problem you are trying to solve will dictate what type of training should be sought, and that will dictate how difficult the training and range exercises are.

Yeah...I'm with Coach on this. The question should not be "How hard is the class?" The question should be, "Will the class teach me what I need to know for the application?"

My first question to anyone who asks me about training is this: What is your gun for?

So....what is your gun for?

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    It sounds like your Pastor is trying to limit liability by putting a stamp on your training and making you "official". Nothing wrong with that.

After you jump through this hoop I would recommend to him that your "team" attend regular refresher training. The mechanics of shooting the gun are only a very small part of what you're going to be tasked to do.

I'd talk to Shay at Mindset Labs and have him put together a curriculum and some FoF scenarios together for your team.

In the past I've talked to other guys with a similar problem. They were also setting up a church security team and I proposed exactly what you said. First some training to get everyone on the same page and then some skills FoF exercises and a FoF scenario or two to test it all out.

Top Bottom