How do I determine which post office is "my" post office?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm making an order online for something that will have to be picked up at the post office. I need to call in advance to make sure I'm on the same page with their policies when I make this order. There are three offices roughly the same distance from my house, but I don't know which one is responsible for delivering MY mail. Any way of figuring this out online?

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I'm making an order online for something that will have to be picked up at the post office. I need to call in advance to make sure I'm on the same page with their policies when I make this order. There are three offices roughly the same distance from my house, but I don't know which one is responsible for delivering MY mail. Any way of figuring this out online?

USPS.Find a Business/Standard Search - United States Postal Service

this would be my only guess.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    quick google

"post office *" *=your zip code it will bring up places that sell stamps and such so you will have to weed out those

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Your Post Office would be the one with the same Zip Code as the mail you receive.

And that would be....the post office that doesn't exist? All three of them have different zips, none of which happen to be mine.

you can call them and ask.

If all else fails, I'll do this. I was just hoping somebody had a way of figuring it out so I wouldn't have to wait. I'm impatient. ;)

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd just ask the mailman next time I seen him outside my place. Of course, he is always putting mail in my box right at the time I'm leaving for work, so it wouldn't take any effort on my part to catch him.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Zip code IS the post office.

And that would be....the post office that doesn't exist? All three of them have different zips, none of which happen to be mine.

If none of them have the same zip code as your mail, then none of them are YOUR Post Office. The sole purpose of the Zip Code is to get the mail to the post office out of which it will be delivered. Mine is 46222 which means that all of my mail comes to me from the Post office with that Zip Code which is The Rainbow Station on W. 16th in Indy. :dunno:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

If none of them have the same zip code as your mail, then none of them are YOUR Post Office. The sole purpose of the Zip Code is to get the mail to the post office out of which it will be delivered. Mine is 46222 which means that all of my mail comes to me from the Post office with that Zip Code which is The Rainbow Station on W. 16th in Indy. :dunno:

Well, someone needs to alert the USPS then, because they forgot to build a post office in my zip code. See for yourself. 46221.

On a barely related note: I grew up in 46222, right off of Holt and Rockville. Those stomping grounds have sure seen some changes.

After posting this, I recalled that I've had to go to Post Office #3 when we received notices and whatnot (registered mail, undeliverable without signatures, etc), so I presume that is the facility which handles, sorts, and delivers my mail. Ironically, of the three, it is the farthest from my house. Whoda thunk?

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Of course it's the farthest! I am sure a good bureaucrat wouldn't have it any other way! :D
    Actually I just moved out to the Clermont area. I spent my first 18 years on this earth living about a nine iron from the post office on 16th. That was nearly fifty years ago now though and you are absolutely correct, the old neighborhood sure has changed, and not for the better! Scares the be-jabbers out of me that mom is still living there. :rolleyes: :(

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Well, someone needs to alert the USPS then, because they forgot to build a post office in my zip code. See for yourself. 46221.

On a barely related note: I grew up in 46222, right off of Holt and Rockville. Those stomping grounds have sure seen some changes.

After posting this, I recalled that I've had to go to Post Office #3 when we received notices and whatnot (registered mail, undeliverable without signatures, etc), so I presume that is the facility which handles, sorts, and delivers my mail. Ironically, of the three, it is the farthest from my house. Whoda thunk?
    Your presumption is correct.
    In larger cities, mail is processed at a mail processing facility and then trucked to the smaller stations where your carrier originates from.
    Most of the sorting is done at the larger facility, your carrier merely sorts his/her mail to the sequence in which it is delivered.

Top Bottom