How do i find out what year my M&P model 10 is?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I just bought a S&W M&P model 10 .38 with a 6" barrel, and would like to find out what year it was made. Can anyone help me in this search? The serial number is 5240**, any help is appreciated.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If your serial number is correct I would say that it is a pre model 10 and posiibly made in the 30's by guesstimating from my Standard Catalog of S & W. 6 inch M & P's are often referred to as "beat guns" due to the fact they were made when officers actually walked a beat rather than sat in a squad car. The 6 inch barrel only becomes a hinderance when you are sitting all day. You have a nice weapon with a Smooooth d/a trigger pull.

Enjoy it.

Indiucky

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Different models have different hammers, front sights, etc. My 10-5 is so common that a lot look identical. S&W Forum is a great place for info. Picture of yours may show more to tell it's history. 5in M10s are very cool. I believe that is the revolver that intros "Superman" Faster than a Speeding Bullet" starring George Reeves(older version). Enjoy.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I just bought a S&W M&P model 10 .38 with a 6" barrel, and would like to find out what year it was made. Can anyone help me in this search? The serial number is 5240**, any help is appreciated.

An M&P (Military and Police) was "pre-Model 10". I think Smith started "Model" numbers around 1957 or 1958. What had been the M&P revolver became Model 10. If your revolver is a Model 10, it will say so where the yoke swings out from the frame. If it's an M&P, it will just have a part number.

An easy answer to your question, though, is e-mail or phone customer service at Smith & Wesson. I did that and found out that my M&P snubbie was made in 1956. (Its serial number has a C prefix, by the way.)

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    Here are a few pictures, the last patent date is Dec. 29. 14
    100_0083.jpg

100_0082.jpg

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Here are a few pictures, the last patent date is Dec. 29. 14
    100_0083.jpg

100_0082.jpg

Post these pictures on "www.smith-wessonforum.com", and you can get a pretty knowledgeable answer. Judging by the hammer, the grips style and the single-line imprint on the right side, my guess would be pre-World War II. It's definitely an M&P and not a Model 10.

blitzen25cat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    south east indiana
    Looks like you have a S&W 1905 4th change. Judging from the serial no. yours is from the mid 1920s. Serial numbers should be on the butt,cylinder and on the bottom of the barrel where the cylinder opens. Check for patent pending on top of the hammer. Your grips are correct for that model. Very nice find. Best regards

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Just call Smith, give em the serial number, and they can tell you all about it. Tis what I did on my MP 9mm

Top Bottom