• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So, adjusted the pivot screw on a ZT0560 recently so that it flips easily with just the finger flick on the flipper and does not require and swing or wrist snap. Previously, it was pretty much factory new condition and a little stiff. It required a significant flip of the wrist to get the blade to lock open. There is no noticeable wobble and it won't open without pressing on the flipper. So I think I have it just the way I want it.

How do you guys set your flippers?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    About this much

c680725.jpg

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    All my flippers are spring-assist, so they're super flippy. I did have a Skyline that took a little adjusting to open without the wrist snap.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I like my pivot adjusted so that if I hold my knife open and horizontal, when I release the lock, the blade will swing, and when it gets to the apex of where it would begin to swinging back, it stays there or only moves back a slight amount.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    All my flippers are spring-assist, so they're super flippy. I did have a Skyline that took a little adjusting to open without the wrist snap.

I like my flippers assisted too.

I know knife purists hate assisted knives, but I love them. The only non assisted flipper I've owned was a Spyderco Domino, and even with its bearings, it required a wrist snap.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My one pure "flipper", a Kershaw JYDII, requires a bit of a wrist flip to get it to lock.

Or if I open it "upside down" it'll fall into place without issue.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Depends. 3.5" Spanto XM-18 can flip easily or requires some power. The pivot can looses easily but just putting your finger on it and rotating it a smudge makes it stiffer.

3" Wharncliff XM-18 takes more power since the blade doesn't weigh much.

I still like to keep all my flippers where I can open them with finger power alone. I'm not a fan of wrist snapping, to me, if you have to snap your wrist cause the knife isn't smooth or the pivot is too strong, you take out the advantage of a flipper

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    It isn't always about how smooth the pivot design/mechanism is, or the weight of the blade, although both of these are a factor. The detent plays a very large role in how easy and smooth a blade flips open.......a stronger detent usually makes the blade open smoother and faster to the lock up point. It takes more finger strength to break a heavy detent, but once you have broken the detent, there is more force behind the blade which gives the blade more momentum to the lock up point. Often makers use a stronger detent to compensate for a less than optimal (non bearing) pivot design. :twocents:

Last edited:

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have to agre with Brad. Decent has a ton to do with the flipping action. Sort of like preloading they blade. Once it moves it just snaps open. I prefer a stronger detent. Also help prevent the blade for being able to accidentally open. If I can shake my blade and it opens I will tighten the pivot.

Top Bottom