• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Like the title asks, how hard is it to build a 1911 for the first time? If I do it I'll make a GI type version with nicer sights. What is needed to make a build successful? Where can I get the important stuff like a frame, a slide, etc.? Any specific tools I'll need? And finally, what should the approximate costs be?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have not built a 1911 (yet), but do find that Brownell's seems to have a bunch of 1911 parts geared towards the custom gun.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Like the title asks, how hard is it to build a 1911 for the first time? If I do it I'll make a GI type version with nicer sights. What is needed to make a build successful? Where can I get the important stuff like a frame, a slide, etc.? Any specific tools I'll need? And finally, what should the approximate costs be?
    You need to read the Kuhnhausen manuals. Then decide if you have the know how to do it.

I read them to become familiar with the workings, not doing the work ;)

The tools will vary based upon the type of "kit" you want to put together.

Also, putting an AR together, is nothing like putting a 1911 together.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Also, putting an AR together, is nothing like putting a 1911 together.

Quote of the day right there!

Building a 1911 is not OVERLY hard....building a 1911 that TRULY runs well is something that masters spend years learning. It will definately be a good learning experience. Read the books recommended, would add "The Complete M1911 Assembley Guide" by Walt Kuleck to the list. Measure tons, ask questions, go slow and fit the cheap parts to the expensive parts not the other way around!

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have done a few. To be honest you would be better off buying a mid range gun like a springfield loaded maybe a Rock island but you will still have a rock island with nice parts.
    Anyway buy a complete gun and the buy upgraded parts and learn how to fit them before starting one from scratch. Chances of building a nice 1911 from scratch your first time out are slim.
    Practice upgrading a few before building from scratch is my :twocents:

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have done a few. To be honest you would be better off buying a mid range gun like a springfield loaded maybe a Rock island but you will still have a rock island with nice parts.
    Anyway buy a complete gun and the buy upgraded parts and learn how to fit them before starting one from scratch. Chances of building a nice 1911 from scratch your first time out are slim.
    Practice upgrading a few before building from scratch is my :twocents:

So true! Having fitted some small parts myself, you will be in for a daunting task doing the whole deal. If you figure it out though, I can't imagine a more satisfying build. I mean if building an AR is satisfying, building a 1911 would be amazing!

This approach seems great to me as well though. Fitting a grip safety or a thumb safety is harder than you would expect, and those are some of the "easier" parts of the build!

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Anyone here a 1911 smith? Because I learn best taking things one at a time so if I built one of these I'd be doing it slowly and probably ask a billion questions along the way. Or, does anyone know someone with a basket case 1911 that needs quite a bit of work and would be willing to let it go relatively cheaply?

I don't want to buy new because I'd be too concerned messing it up, even a cheap 1911. I'd rather start from scratch or with a problem gun.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So, how far in do you want to go? You interested in an apprenticeship with a gunsmith for the summer?*

*No, it does not involve joining the USN, shipping off to Great Lakes and striking for GM or the like.:D

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    So, how far in do you want to go? You interested in an apprenticeship with a gunsmith for the summer?*

*No, it does not involve joining the USN, shipping off to Great Lakes and striking for GM or the like.:D

I'd like to learn how to work on/build 1911 type handguns. If I could get an apprenticeship I'd probably do it depending on what we did/what I learned/where the guy is.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    I recommend you check out Cylinder & Slides web site. Bill conducts 1911 pistol smithing classes at his shop. It is a little costly but well worth it. I took the class and built a real tac driver.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Anyone here a 1911 smith? Because I learn best taking things one at a time so if I built one of these I'd be doing it slowly and probably ask a billion questions along the way. Or, does anyone know someone with a basket case 1911 that needs quite a bit of work and would be willing to let it go relatively cheaply?

I don't want to buy new because I'd be too concerned messing it up, even a cheap 1911. I'd rather start from scratch or with a problem gun.

I like to think I can help with this all the way through even to the refinishing if needed. Plus I am in Avon not to terribly far away
    I am pretty handy with the 1911, of course my opinion is biased :)

Top Bottom