• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    So I ran a little S10 that I am trying to sell through a public auto auction. Turns out my truck was the last one to come down the line. So I am standing around board. Well a nice little car comes on and I figure it would be a great car for my oldest daughter next year. So I bid on the car and win. Well I had a guy bidding against me and ran me up. No big deal, I was at what I wanted to spend. But anyway, when it comes time to pay for the car and get ready for the test drive. I notice the guy that bid me up was signing the title to the car I just won, it was his car. So I refuse to buy. He then gets loud with me and along come his two friends. They follow me to my truck. They then start to talk about putting a whoopin on me. I have a G26 IWB. I then worry about it falling out if I am attacked. So here is how I handled it.
    I changed the subject from violence back to the car. I have fought in rings, cages, and have been on grappling mats all over the Midwest. In short, I have been hit before. I was more concerned with them being armed with knife, getting hit from the back, dropping the 26 in a scuffle, and the fact that I didn't have good odds. But back to the story. I out smarted them by changing the subject. I kept a level head and didn't show any kind of fear. I convinced them to walk back to the office with me. The guy gave me his word the car was in perfect working order. So we go out for the test drive, the car runs like crap. I am not obligated to buy the car anyway now. So I don't. I completely dodged what could have been a very bad situation. My only thought of drawing was doing whatever I could first to make sure I didn't have to. What I learned, I probably could have handled it better. I could have went forth with the deal and found something wrong with the car. But I stuck up for my self. I came home with pride intact.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    So this jack-ass was bidding against you on a car HE was selling? That's shady beyond belief. what kind of auction is this? Would they allow that clown to sell there again if they knew what he was doing? Good for you keeping yourself and your pride intact!:yesway:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds like a pretty good job :yesway: Glad all turned out ok and nothing bad happened. Even better that you did not have to resort to the worst case scenario and were able to use your head and keep calm. No matter how well we handle situations like this we will always think of things that we could have done better. The thing is to learn from each experience and move forward. Sounds like a job well done to me though.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    So this jack-ass was bidding against you on a car HE was selling? That's shady beyond belief. what kind of auction is this? Would they allow that clown to sell there again if they knew what he was doing? Good for you keeping yourself and your pride intact!:yesway:

Sadly, this is commonly how it goes at many car "auctions" that I have been to in Indiana.

Another sad note is when the bidding stops, and they announce "well, that's not going to be enough" (the minimum price was not met)

They use the term "auction" rather loosely at many auto auctions nowadays.

Anyway, great job on using your reason and verbal jiu-jitsu! Another example of a gun owner that is not the violent criminal many anti-gun activists claim we are.
    :rockwoot:

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    So I ran a little S10 that I am trying to sell through a public auto auction. Turns out my truck was the last one to come down the line. So I am standing around board. Well a nice little car comes on and I figure it would be a great car for my oldest daughter next year. So I bid on the car and win. Well I had a guy bidding against me and ran me up. No big deal, I was at what I wanted to spend. But anyway, when it comes time to pay for the car and get ready for the test drive. I notice the guy that bid me up was signing the title to the car I just won, it was his car. So I refuse to buy. He then gets loud with me and along come his two friends. They follow me to my truck. They then start to talk about putting a whoopin on me. I have a G26 IWB. I then worry about it falling out if I am attacked. So here is how I handled it.
    I changed the subject from violence back to the car. I have fought in rings, cages, and have been on grappling mats all over the Midwest. In short, I have been hit before. I was more concerned with them being armed with knife, getting hit from the back, dropping the 26 in a scuffle, and the fact that I didn't have good odds. But back to the story. I out smarted them by changing the subject. I kept a level head and didn't show any kind of fear. I convinced them to walk back to the office with me. The guy gave me his word the car was in perfect working order. So we go out for the test drive, the car runs like crap. I am not obligated to buy the car anyway now. So I don't. I completely dodged what could have been a very bad situation. My only thought of drawing was doing whatever I could first to make sure I didn't have to. What I learned, I probably could have handled it better. I could have went forth with the deal and found something wrong with the car. But I stuck up for my self. I came home with pride intact.

very cool!

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I am done with public auctions.

Sadly, this is commonly how it goes at many car "auctions" that I have been to in Indiana.

Another sad note is when the bidding stops, and they announce "well, that's not going to be enough" (the minimum price was not met)

They use the term "auction" rather loosely at many auto auctions nowadays.

Anyway, great job on using your reason and verbal jiu-jitsu! Another example of a gun owner that is not the violent criminal many anti-gun activists claim we are.
    :rockwoot:

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I was just getting ready to get a dealer license so I can START buying cars at auction. Maybe not...
    Good job keeping your cool and all that.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    If the auctioneer was any good and he knew what the guy was doing he would have let it go up and sold it to the guy with your hand up. Seen it happen a few times at smaller auctions.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I am a tad confused. You went back to the office because there were others there? Did you get in the car with the sellers? Did they accept you telling them the car was junk better than just telling them that they broke the rules?

That would be a strange night indeed. Glad no one got hurt!

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    According to some signs at Christy's Auction, that's actually a felony.

A big no-no to bid your own item up.

Does anyone have proof of any such felony? I've never heard of that. I go to auctions all the time and at consignment auctions its very common for the owners to bid up (or protect) their own equipment / vehicles. So common in fact that I've heard lots of different auctioneers make statements like "We don't do reserve's on this stuff boys so if its yours than you'd better be here to protect it". Heck, lots of auction companies have reduced buy back fees for that very situation.

Unless it was posted or announced that there was to be no buy-bidding then you pretty much have to assume its OK. I would have been upset if I was the seller and you didn't want to pay either. That seller was going to get charged the auctioneers commision and you wasted his time.

Now, the car being different than what was advertised makes it a different story, but you didn't know that at the time. I'm assuming that the auction place has some sort of a buyer guarantee, but that certainly isn't the case at a lot of equipment auctions. Most of the time it is as-is, where is and if you were the final bidder you bought it.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    Does anyone have proof of any such felony? I've never heard of that. I go to auctions all the time and at consignment auctions its very common for the owners to bid up (or protect) their own equipment / vehicles. So common in fact that I've heard lots of different auctioneers make statements like "We don't do reserve's on this stuff boys so if its yours than you'd better be here to protect it". Heck, lots of auction companies have reduced buy back fees for that very situation.

Unless it was posted or announced that there was to be no buy-bidding then you pretty much have to assume its OK. I would have been upset if I was the seller and you didn't want to pay either. That seller was going to get charged the auctioneers commision and you wasted his time.

The above information is not correct and the second paragraph is actually opposite of actual Indiana law. The auctioneers making that above quoted statement about sellers being there to protect their stuff they are selling are probably maybe making an acceptable attempt at the required notice to let bidders know that sellers are bidding on their own wares.

Indiana Auctioneer Commission - Statute & Administrative Rules
    812 IAC 1-1-34 Auction procedure; completion of sale; sale without
    reserve
    Authority: IC 25-6.1-2-5
    Affected: IC 25-6.1-2-5; IC 25-6.1-6-1

skipping to relevant part

(d) If the auctioneer knowingly receives a bid on the seller's behalf or
    the seller makes or procures such a bid, and notice has not been given
    that liberty for such bidding is reserved, the buyer may at his option avoid
    the sale or take the property at the price of the last good faith bid prior to
    the completion of the sale.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I stand corrected. +1 for finding the facts. Inbound rep coming your way.

That being said, it happens a lot without being posted or stated, and that code doesn't say anything about being a felony. Basically it just says if you catch them doing it and it wasn't mentioned then you don't have to take the item at that price. Good look getting any seller or auctioneer to ever give you the item for the "last good faith bid" if you do catch them in that situation.

I never really cared if the owner was bidding against me or not, it didn't really matter. You inspect the item and bid to what your comfortable with.

Last edited:

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I re-read that again. It says if the auctioneer "knowingly" accepts the bid from the seller. So what if the auctioneer doesn't know that he's taking a bid from the seller?

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    Basically it just says if you catch them doing it and it wasn't mentioned then you don't have to take the item at that price. Good look getting any seller or auctioneer to ever give you the item for the "last good faith bid" if you do catch them in that situation.

The auctioneer could lose his license (and source of income/livelihood) as the state says violating that particular rule (along with a number of other rules) is enough to have the auctioneer deemed as professionally incompetent.

I re-read that again. It says if the auctioneer "knowingly" accepts the bid from the seller. So what if the auctioneer doesn't know that he's taking a bid from the seller?

If the person ended up buying their own stuff, that would be a good tip off. If the issue is brought to the auctioneer's attention even after the fact, then he/she hopefully would no longer do business with that consignor (or at least make sure that future auctions of that consignor's property are conducted properly).

Depending on the local laws, shill bidding can be a crime and the bidder could find themselves in trouble. Of course that means that some places it isn't illegal and they can milk buyers all they want...

Top Bottom