• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I can see law makers putting a stop to individual sales of firearms.

My question is, how long will something like that take to be a law?

Even if they come back with some sort of ban on "assault rifles" and "high-capacity" mags, how long will that take to go into effect?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    As soon as all the right people sign it. Most bills are introduced with a date, but I don't think there is any reason why it couldn't read "effective upon ratification and signature of the President".

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I dare say, most bills are effective upon ratification by the chief executive, whether federal, or Indiana. Some, like major tax bills and like the public smoking ban, will have an effective date clause, like July 1 of after ratification.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I can see law makers putting a stop to individual sales of firearms.

And how do you see this happening?

Even if they come back with some sort of ban on "assault rifles" and "high-capacity" mags, how long will that take to go into effect?

Well, the first AWB took 6.5 years.

It was passed by both chambers of Congress in August of 1994 and was such a pressing crime control measure that Clinton did not sign it until September 13, 1994.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Then there's the whole Executive Order thingy that our "esteemed" POTUS seems to favor... :rolleyes:

People keep saying this acting like Obama has racked up the executive order high score. That just isn't true. While I don't like Obama, it just gets old. Yeah, he has his name on some bad stuff but that isn't much different than other presidents.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

It was passed by both chambers of Congress in August of 1994 and was such a pressing crime control measure that Clinton did not sign it until September 13, 1994.

You don't see anything happening? Whys that?

It took 6.5 years for the first AWB to be passed?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You don't see anything happening? Whys that?

I do not see Congress putting a stop to individual sales of firearms as you stated.

It took 6.5 years for the first AWB to be passed?

From 1988 to 1994, yes.

In 1987 Josh started with the whole "semiautomatic machine gun" to deliberately confuse machine guns with semi-auto clones.

The VPC first tried in California in 1988. The Attorney General did a study which found that such "assault rifle" laws were worthless and would have no impact on crime.

Then Stockton happened in January of 1989. The world blew up. Bush Ban I was ordered and then the more expansive Bush Ban II was implemented, pushed by Gun Czar Bill "Come on 7!" Bennett (he was originally the Drug Czar but realized how worthless his job was to stopping drugs [cannot be done] so he focused on guns for the rest of his term).

From January 1989 on bill after bill was offered to ban semi-auto rifles. In 1993 fast on the heals of the Brady Act (which is why the AWB and Brady are often confused), the VCCA of 1994 was passed (the AWB).

It was six weeks from passing to signing. In fact Clinton took a long vacation before signing the AWB in 1994.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    People keep saying this acting like Obama has racked up the executive order high score. That just isn't true. While I don't like Obama, it just gets old. Yeah, he has his name on some bad stuff but that isn't much different than other presidents.

Weren't you also one of the Obamapologist gang that told us that Obama had no intentions to do what he's now doing on guns? About time to drop it.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Was is passed in '88 or '94? :dunno:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Weren't you also one of the Obamapologist gang that told us that Obama had no intentions to do what he's now doing on guns? About time to drop it.

Umm...I believe I've been saying all along that Romney would have done exactly what Obama has done and would do.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Umm...I believe I've been saying all along that Romney would have done exactly what Obama has done and would do.

I wasn't aware that Romney is President or that you were making excuses for him. The fact is that Obama IS the one doing it, continuing to carry water for him is way past old. Enough is enough.

Top Bottom