How many tries for Rifleman are there in a typical event?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Dec 4, 2010
    Hey, I am headed to a shoot this weekend with my son. I am pretty excited about it. I was wondering about how many tries there are for the Rifleman qualification. I am hoping to do this. I am not exactly sure where I stand now with my skills, or where i will be at the end, but I am hopeful that I can do it. Thanks!

308jake

Master
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I have been to two Seeds and both offered at least 6 chances at the AQT. I'm positive you will have a great time and learn a lot both about shooting and American history. One warning though, Seeds can be addictive.

obijohn

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    The instructors at an appleseed will make you a better rifle shot. period. Please don't be discouraged if you don't shoot a rifleman's score at your first 'seed, just practice what they teach you and try again!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Hey, I am headed to a shoot this weekend with my son. I am pretty excited about it. I was wondering about how many tries there are for the Rifleman qualification. I am hoping to do this. I am not exactly sure where I stand now with my skills, or where i will be at the end, but I am hopeful that I can do it. Thanks!

It took me a couple of shoots and a couple of "minis" (that I don't think are done anymore) to finally make the score and earn the title. If you go both days, you should have plenty of opportunity to score 210+, as day 1 is more about instruction and day 2 about practice and refinement of technique. As Obijohn says, learn what they're teaching you...The shooting instruction is among the best there is, as evidenced by the US military inviting our instructors to teach troops that are headed into battle, and you won't go wrong learning and practicing what is being made available.
    BTW... take the opportunity to learn the history as well as the marksmanship. There are lessons taught there, too. ;) :thumbsup:

Blessings,
    Bill

Dorky_D

Expert
    Dec 4, 2010
    Yep, I am up for the shutting up, opening to teaching and learning. I also like to push myself, so I will do what I can. If I do not make it, it is not the end of the world.

dwh79

Expert
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I have enjoyed all three that I have attended. I will say that the smaller the shoot the better the training for you. That may go without saying though. My first shoot I tried with my stock 10/22 with iron sights and I had so many bad habits from years of self teaching and trying to use sights that with me being far sighted gave me issues that I was amazed at what I learned and did not care that I did not get rifleman. I still improved a lot. Then I went to a shoot and had a scope then I could really learn as I could see my target and notice my errors. NPOA is the key to a lot of it in my opinion. I went to my third shoot this past weekend and I am getting there. I almost scored it. I hope to next time. My cousin finally scored his last weekend at his fifth seed. Good luck and enjoy. You will learn a lot.

Faine

Expert
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I just did my first Appleseed last weekend and I didn't even do an AQT, health issues grounded me, and I don't even care. I stayed through to the end, caught all the history and talked to some people, it was worth it. The instruction was phenomenal, I went from a 10" group in prone to a half dollar sized group during the practice. I think the point is to just go, let the qualifying, titles, badges, etc... come with experience, and take in what their handing out, which is history, involvement, and instruction.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    OP the Appleseed I attended the shooters lost interest (maybe a bad choice of words) before the instructors did on shooting the AQTs. Enjoy the time spent with your son they grow up fast.

AHJ

Plinker
    Apr 29, 2013
    Like dwh79 said, it took me five appleseeds to finally earn my rifleman patch. I met a gentleman at the Seelyville shoot attending his sixth appleseed, still trying for his score. Staying persistent and dedicated to honing your skills, you will get there. Plus, I am helping my daughter learn to shoot and taking her to these events, which in turn helps me, because I have to practice what I preach.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Dec 4, 2010
    FYI - I am not member of the MCFG range and I have been asked a couple of times in PMs. If I am understanding correctly they need someone to be a 'sponsor' for the shoot to get people in and to be there for safety. I cannot help with that.

I have only been shooting for a few years (other than shooting the stew out of my pellet gun and 22s at camp), but have acquired skill pretty quickly in pistol and I am not too bad with a rifle from the bench. Standing is a little tougher for me, but that is all part of it. I am really OK if I do not get it, but I like to learn and accomplish as quickly as I can, so I was curious. This is a great opportunity to shoot and I am excited for my son as he has not shot before. I have worked with him a bit (not so much as to train the wrong way) on how to handle a rifle and keep it pointed in the correct direction and trigger discipline and stuff, so it should be good.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    The number of AQT's depends on both the Cadre and the class. It's been a bit since I helped out at one, from my past experience on Saturday there are usually 2 to 4 and Sunday as many as 8. If he class is attentive and gets used to loading mags as soon as they get back to the equipment line, not dilly dallying around and the Line Boss is able to focus on the line calls instead of outside distractions, a Full AQT can be done in as little as 8 minutes.

Jan 28, 2009
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. No one will look down on you if you don't make it at the first one. Just believe and do what they teach you and you will be fine.

Top Bottom