How picky are you about your pistol plinking rounds?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Just starting out, and wondering what tolerances you guys use when building up a box of plinking rounds. I'm thinking +/- .1gr and +/- .002" OAL are good for me, but what do you guys recommend?

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I think you can deviate more than that in still be a good plinking round. If you are measure OAL to the tip of the bullet you never will get an exact measure ment eaxh time anyway

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My reloads have more deviation on OAL, because every bullet's ogive is different. That, and there is slight variance in case OAL. Though, at the range, I can not tell the difference. I use a chargemaster scale/dispencer combo. It's dead on every charge.

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Presuming your plinking load is a middling charge, at most, you could vary +/- .2 of a grain charge weight and +/- .005" cartridge OAL.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    My plinking ammo, match ammo, and zombie apocalypse ammo are all the same. VV340 meters spot on (there might be some variance, but it's smaller than the resolution on my scale) and my Redding competition seating dies keeps OAL within +/- .003.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Happy to report that my rounds all went off without a single issue today at the range. :) (Tested 3 rounds before loading up a couple of boxes)
    .45acp 230grn LRN, backed by 4.5-4.6grn of Bullseye. Think I can step up a tenth of a grain or two too, as they seemed to be hitting a bit low.

Actually, there were two issues today...
    1. I only took 100 of my reloads with me and had to break into my stash of Remington UMCs out of the trunk...
    2. ...and one of those failed to feed. :n00b:

200 brass ready to load, with 200 more ready to clean and load. Seems to me like one can outgrow a small tumbler pretty quick. :laugh:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Happy to report that my rounds all went off without a single issue today at the range. :) (Tested 3 rounds before loading up a couple of boxes)
    .45acp 230grn LRN, backed by 4.5-4.6grn of Bullseye. Think I can step up a tenth of a grain or two too, as they seemed to be hitting a bit low.

Actually, there were two issues today...
    1. I only took 100 of my reloads with me and had to break into my stash of Remington UMCs out of the trunk...
    2. ...and one of those failed to feed. :n00b:

200 brass ready to load, with 200 more ready to clean and load. Seems to me like one can outgrow a small tumbler pretty quick. :laugh:

Cool glad all went well.
    As far as Bullseye goes 5.0grs under a 230 gr bullet is a pretty standard load. You may want to try that.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You've learned one of the more common lessons on working up loads for semi-auto pistol cartridges: Start low and work up until you have the function and accuracy you typically get from similar factory ammo. Sounds like another tenth or two and you'll be there!

Good job having your first attempts go so well. I predict you'll be loading for many years to come. :)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Just starting out, and wondering what tolerances you guys use when building up a box of plinking rounds. I'm thinking +/- .1gr and +/- .002" OAL are good for me, but what do you guys recommend?
    It depends. Are you talking about rifle or pistol rounds?

Top Bottom