How to buy CMP Garand..for dummies like me?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I've spent some time on the CMP website and reviewed their instructions...but I still have questions and I figure folks here will know the answer.

Can I use my Indiana LTCH as proof of marksmanship activity? I know an Appleseed will also work for this...I think my Kentucky Hunter Safety Card from when I was a kid will work too?

What organization is best/easiest? Looks like Southern Indiana Rifle/Pistol Club qualifies, and while I'd love to join their membership requirements include attending two meetings and my work schedule is such that I'm ALWAYS out of town during them. Can somebody recommend another option?

I was in the WV ANG until being medically separated...have an NGB-22 proving service but I've been out a while and no longer have my ID.

Anything else I'm missing?

Many thanks! :yesway:

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    Join the Garand Collectors Association. The GCA journal is worth the membership alone. They will send your membership info straight to the CMP. Then fill out the CMP order form with a copy of your drivers license and LTCH and you should be good to go.

www.thegca.org

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I've spent some time on the CMP website and reviewed their instructions...but I still have questions and I figure folks here will know the answer.

Can I use my Indiana LTCH as proof of marksmanship activity? I know an Appleseed will also work for this...I think my Kentucky Hunter Safety Card from when I was a kid will work too?

What organization is best/easiest? Looks like Southern Indiana Rifle/Pistol Club qualifies, and while I'd love to join their membership requirements include attending two meetings and my work schedule is such that I'm ALWAYS out of town during them. Can somebody recommend another option?

I was in the WV ANG until being medically separated...have an NGB-22 proving service but I've been out a while and no longer have my ID.

Anything else I'm missing?

Many thanks! :yesway:

How about a DD-214? Not sure what part of the ANG fall's under.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    GCA is a good one as noted.

Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association is another one that will qualify you.

Who We Are. $25 per year and they do some good things. Small group with only like 1000 members.

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    Just sent in my paperwork for a Springfield service grade today.

I used my Indiana lifetime carry permit, Garand Collectors Association membership card, and a copy of my passport.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Just got an alert from the CMP. All orders for a Garand that is in the works or in the future for residents of New York will now have to go through a FFL.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Without a C&R, you have to go the CMP store in Ohio, or have it shipped to an FFL, correct?

Negative, unless you have a specific state/local restriction. Youjust fill out the forms send them and all other copies of your ID's DD214's and whatever required affiliations needed and they send it directly to your house!

jakeep

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Plainfield
    I miss the days when you could get some real bargains at the CMP. Be interesting to see what they have for sale in 5 years. I would think there sources are about dried up.

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Recent Garands

Can anyone comment on the quality of Garands that have been received recently from CMP? Wondering if they're still a decent value and worth ordering.

Thanks.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Can anyone comment on the quality of Garands that have been received recently from CMP? Wondering if they're still a decent value and worth ordering.

Thanks.

Read on their site and it lists by the grade fair to good good to very good etc. The main rack grade (or what they are calling them now) are from like 575-625 ish are hit and miss (some look worse than others). Some better grades are in and out of stock again so you will have to just keep checking or call. They are a little better. What I plan to do when I order one shortly is get the Special Grade. It is completely factory refinished (like a brand new) reciever, brand new barrel and stock. They are 995.00 Yes some folks like the non refinnished ones but I want mine as a shooter and for 995 for basically a brand ne garand that will be my choice. I'm sure all of them are fine for shooting etc just what you want.

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Thank you for the info. The $300 difference seems large, but spread out over a few years and factoring in additional work not needed, it probably ends up being worth it.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I miss the days when you could get some real bargains at the CMP. Be interesting to see what they have for sale in 5 years. I would think there sources are about dried up.

From what i read several months ago mind you, they still had over 100,000 in crates to go through....

As far as grades I have bought 2 Field Grades I picked out at the N. Store that were excellent shooters. For mail order you can't go wrong with a Service Grade.

Top Bottom