• indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    The Lee FCD crimps as a standalone process
    My reading die set also has a separate taper die but I’ve never used it or needed it so far.

I was still learning when I bought my dies and didn’t realize when I ordered the pro die set, that meant for progressive presses. I was thinking pro as in professional and I only have a single stage press.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    My reading die set also has a separate taper die but I’ve never used it or needed it so far.

I was still learning when I bought my dies and didn’t realize when I ordered the pro die set, that meant for progressive presses. I was thinking pro as in professional and I only have a single stage press.
    You can always do it as a separate operation...but I definitely understand not wanting to deal with an extra step if you're running on a single stage (especially if the seating die is getting the job done for you). I do 9mm on a progressive, and most of my other handgun calibers on a 4-hole turret, so it's an easy twist and another pull of the lever to add the crimp stage after the bullets are seated.

I also use LNL bushing in my single-stage, so swapping out dies is quick and I don't have to adjust them again unless I change components or switch between cartridges that use the same dies like .357/.38.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    The ogive is just as important as the OAL
    I’ve been watching several videos on how to determine OAL on YouTube.

I’ve seen several doing plunk test. Then tapping on it while it’s in chamber to make sure it doesn’t stick or ride the lands.

I’ve also seen one video that demonstrates how to actually calculate what the OAL should be.

What would you suggest for a guy new to the hobby? I don’t want to load to factory because my CZ cartridges were too long.

Thanks in advance!

The ogive of your bullet is directly tied to your overall length in any chamber.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    My 4 cents (inflation) for what it’s worth.

Usually I start .007” under max COAL. Lee taper crimp with the carbide size ring. Check to see how it fits the chamber. It should be able to be pressed in and still rotate. I also look for that nice plunk and to see if it sits flush or below the end of barrel. Seldom have I run into issues using this technique.

Also check to see if it will still travel down in the magazine freely. I’ve seen cartridges within max COAL get stuck in some magazines, but it’s rare.

Word to the wise about seating bullets too deep. It can quickly turn your load into a +P or worse.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom