• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    "She came up with 12-inch masking paper that you can buy in the hardware store."

Not sure that is food-safe material. Don't think I want that in my food.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I saw that in the last issue too. I would agree that you could probably find a better medium for rolling the bacon.

DIM TIM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Stuck in Ohio
    I have one somewhere around here that I found on another forum once. Have not tried it yet, but the woman who posted it does a good deal of survival and preparedness posts, and mentioned in her posts that the bacon frys up and crisps just like it is suposed to when she tried a batch that she made.

I keep watch for it to go on sale at times, and get a few packs when I do. I'm going to have to try this, and if it comes out good, then I'll buy a good bit next time I catch it on sale and can up a bunch for later use.

Just wonder what the shelf life for this would be ? :scratch:

I remember that my dad used to can sausage years ago when I was a kid. I'll have to ask him about that when I talk to him this week.

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    There is a grocer in Mooresville, Value Mart I think. They sell bulk bacon, thick cut, $2.59 a pound for 5lbs or more, $2.89 for less than 5lbs. I get mine there 10lbs at a time and freeze it. I'll be building a cold smoker this summer specifically for the makin' of bacon. Haven't priced pork belly but it's gotta be cheaper than already cured bacon.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Masking paper is fine. The only change I would make to the linked method would be to possibly pre cook the bacon in the oven after placing it between the layers of paper. This should actually get rid of the water and grease before canning and make for a longer lasting, less messy finished product as well as eliminating the need to cook it after opening a jar. Sort of like the pre cooked vacuum sealed stuff you get at the store.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I have only 1 very important question: How can one posses so much bacony goodness and possibly bare to put it away into a jar where it just taunts you to eat it?

Right on for the share, I keep coming across good things from that site, perhaps I should consider subscribing to the magazine.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Brian, what are you? a communist? Stupid? Or just plain CRAZY??
    Good God, man! Bacon is the foundation of western civilization! It's sweet smoky porcine goodness is KNOWN to increase production of endorphins, thereby making one more serene, thereby leading to more rational, and logical thinking. It's known as a true aphrodisiac to Femininis Americanus, heals burns, is the only truly trustworthy source of protien, can anyone tell me what useful function it DOESN'T do? Good God, man!!!

Top Bottom