• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The rental car issue was indeed a big problem. If I remember correctly a couple of German tourists were killed during one of these bumper tag episodes. At the time all of the rental cars had a sticker in the back window with their logo so you knew that it was a rental car, it made it very handy for the bad guys to identify the non-locals. I believe they actually passed a law that said there could be no identifying marks on the exterior of rentals after that.

I remember this.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My behavior at the gas pump varies based on the area. I try to avoid using stations in sketchy places, but sometimes you can't avoid it and sometimes you have to get gas in unfamiliar towns or places in towns you don't know well. In those situations, the big thing is that I don't do anything other than get the gas pumping as quickly as possible, then I step away from the pump and look around until I hear stop. Since I've been very obviously scanning the area around me, I haven't been approached by anyone. It used to happen all the time.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Doors need to be locked. I don't see any way around that (whether she leaves her driver's door open or not). My preference is to have all the doors closed.

She mentions being "trapped" at 2:40ish, but she created part of that by leaving her door open.

I like to close/lock all the doors. Get the gas flowing asap. Then, do a bit of a walk around of my car so I have as much visibility of the area as possible.

Gas stations are tough nuts since you're more or less fixed in position whilst gassing up and so much of your field of view is obscured by the pumps and other vehicles (which I why I like to do a lap around my car to see what's going on).

Zero managing of the unknown contact in the video, just saw a creep, saw a gun, and went to guns (Trigger Time TV, I suppose). Not everything is a problem that needs to be solved with a gun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It would be interesting to see who people conduct themselves while refueling in a place like Brazil. They have a lot of street crime there and we see plenty of self-defense shooting on video (almost always off-duty cops since their gun laws are so restrictive).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It would be interesting to see who people conduct themselves while refueling in a place like Brazil. They have a lot of street crime there and we see plenty of self-defense shooting on video (almost always off-duty cops since their gun laws are so restrictive).

I've refueled in Brazil... and Cloverdale... heck, even in Terre Haute. It was uneventful. :dunno: ;)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've refueled in Brazil... and Cloverdale... heck, even in Terre Haute. It was uneventful. :dunno: ;)

1lqpth.jpg

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    On the other end of the spectrum, last time I filled up, the trailer resident across the pump from me pulled up, went inside, came back out, fished some cash from the wallet in the door pocket before sticking it back in, then went back inside. glanced in my direction as he was walking out but no situational awareness otherwise. doors unlocked, no passengers. I left rather than wait to inform him of his lack of wisdom.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I had the "excuse me sir" routine last sunday when getting gas.

Icy stare in response without saying a word worked wonders for having the guy move onward. :D
    (I'm not saying this always works but it's pretty fun to do.)

On the other end of the spectrum, last time I filled up, the trailer resident across the pump from me pulled up, went inside, came back out, fished some cash from the wallet in the door pocket before sticking it back in, then went back inside. glanced in my direction as he was walking out but no situational awareness otherwise. doors unlocked, no passengers. I left rather than wait to inform him of his lack of wisdom.

maxresdefault.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Years ago (maybe 15) a buddy of mine in the Elkhart area was at a coin-op carwash when a punk tried to rob him. He hit the punk with the high-pressure rinse and said punk ran away.

Cool story, but I don't guess I would count on it to work every​ time.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I did everything wrong when I filled up the bike on the way to work this morning. Left my helmet on with earbuds in blaring. My attention was focused near 100% between trying not to drip gas on the tanks and remembering which cap was which.

It was a busy station on a sunny morning in Mooresville though.... I know “crime can happen anywhere”, but I’m not too worried around here.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Close and lock the doors. Thieves more likely to attempt a sneak entry into the opposite side of the vehicle, cops in my town have actually posted warnings on the gas pumps to that affect. I totally agree with her on maintaining situational awareness at all times, same as should always be.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Back in 2014 some thugs tried to rob a guy pumping gas at a Chicago south side gas station. Turned out they picked on the wrong guy, an off-duty Cook County Sheriff's deputy. I think he dealt with them most effectively! :yesway:

[video=youtube_share;b8xtNvfX73k]https://youtu.be/b8xtNvfX73k[/video]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom