• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I am in need of a way to find out what angle to use when sharpening a knife. I have a Gatco sharpening system, and it gives you 6 selections of angles to use. Problem is I can't find out what angles a particular knife may have. Either my Google-fu is weak, or the internet does not seem to have this angle info... Any ideas?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have the exact same sharperner, the one with the diamond stones.
    I've been using 19 degrees for my Buck knives, but I had to do my best guess to come up with that.
    It would definitely be nice to know exactly what is best for a given knife, especially my Bucks.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Use a Sharpie marker to color the existing edge. Mount your blade into the sharpener and "eyeball" it to find an angle that looks close. Make a few passes with a stone and look at the edge. If the angle is correct, you will have removed all of the marker along the width of the bevel. If the color is gone at the very edge, but not the full width of the bevel, the angle is too high. If the color is gone from the back of the bevel, but not all the way to the very edge, the angle is too low. With fixed angles to choose from you may not hit the factory angle exactly but you should be able to get pretty close.

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    Here is one of the most comprehensive charts that I have ever seen and use it for all my knives.
    It is an excel spreadsheet that Steven Penner put together. Have to give him all the credit and
    thank him for sharing with me. "The chart gives the angle on each side of the blade.
    It can be used to set the platen angle when the blade blank is held perpendicular to the rest.

The blade angle at the edge is actually double this angle.

By Bevel Width- I mean the length of the longer angled line- the Hypotenuse
    Although at these small amounts, it doesn’t amount to much difference if you just use the whole stock width.

This chart can be used to sharpen any knife:

211d70dd-778f-4f47-81c9-9058e35667c6.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

I hope this will help many on INGO. Good Luck and Stay Sharp :):
    Troy

Attachments

• Blade Angle Grind Chart-Steven Penner (3).pdf
      31.4 KB · Views: 2

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Once you get more experience, you wont need the sharpie. You can just look at the edge and see what the sharpener has been doing after a couple of passes.

Use a Sharpie marker to color the existing edge. Mount your blade into the sharpener and "eyeball" it to find an angle that looks close. Make a few passes with a stone and look at the edge. If the angle is correct, you will have removed all of the marker along the width of the bevel. If the color is gone at the very edge, but not the full width of the bevel, the angle is too high. If the color is gone from the back of the bevel, but not all the way to the very edge, the angle is too low. With fixed angles to choose from you may not hit the factory angle exactly but you should be able to get pretty close.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Then you also need to consider whether or not you want to change the existing angles or stick with them. I almost always change the primary bevel on knives because I like get them as close to a "zero edge" as possible for a given blade. After I do that, I stick with it for any subsequent resharpening.

Top Bottom