• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    thanks for the advice, my first thought was to post in the classifieds here since I am in no rush to sell right away. One of my brothers is going to Afghanistan for a year so I may not be selling anything soon anyway.

Currently there are about 60 parked somewhere safe, the other 30some are in a gun vault and I'm not sure what all is in there, but I will try to get to it soon.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I too, am very sorry for your loss.

I would contact a "trusted" auctioneer in your area.

But by all means, post the auction date/place/time here on INGO as I sure there would be lots of us show up if at all possible.

Gunbroker, is the last place "I" would try and sell 100 guns, but that is just me.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    By all means, do a detailed inventory ASAP. Preferably with both your bros present. Make sure at least all three of you (and Mom, if she's surviving) have a copy of that list; and do not let anyone else have or make a copy, esp w/ the serial #'s on it (unless it's your trusted insurance agent). Make a detailed list of 1) Brand & type of gun, including type of action (bolt, pump, auto, etc). 2) Serial #, 3) estimated condition of the stock & metal, (80%, 90%, 95%, and so on). 4) anything special about it over and above factory issue (example: has a 3x9 brand X scope, comes w/ suede leather case, etc), 5) get someone with expert knowledge of firearms in general, to help you place an approx. value on each gun....... You may want to consider selling any 'expensive/high-end' scopes...seperately. Don't just give them away with the gun they are on....

Then, either set up an auction with a trusted auctioneer in your area, and advertise that auction (what, when, where) on INGO and any other local place you can..... or pick out 5-7 guns at a time, and list them for sale here in the INGO Classifieds.

When my Dad passed, we had well over 200 rifles and shotguns to "liquidate" and that was not including all the pistols & revolvers. Don't be in a big hurry, or you will end up getting much less than you could, if you do it right.

* If it will help, I will ship you a Fjestad's Blue Book of Gun Values (on loan)...... to help w/ ID'ing and value on the guns. -Lee

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Can i have one? Seriously, just one of your choosing. Anything! Please?

Now that I have that out of the way, if you don't want to auction them (pay comission, take less than they are worth, etc) then I would put a list on the classifieds. Thin them out some on here, then move onto selling them at gun shows a few at a time.

First things first, inventory it ALL. Number the guns so they are easier to keep track of. Depending on the availability if storage, you may even want to call your local LEOs and see if they have suggestions for securing them, or maybe they can even have a car drive by a little more often. Next I would get prices agreed upon. Get a blue book of guns and price your bottom dollar on it, so everyone knows what you have and there are no disagreements as offers come in.

Most importantly, sorry for your loss. Don't be to quick to part with anything, and don't sell anything sentimental, you might regret it later.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    As others have said, the "best" way to sell them depends on what you expect. Do you want to have one deal, and be quickly done with them? Have an auctioneer pick them up, and he will give you a check when it's done. But you will pay 10-20% commission.

Gunbroker will end up costing you seller fees, plus postage, FFL transfer fees, multiple trips to your local FFL dealer, and dealing with hundreds of email questions. You will also have to take pictures, write descriptions for each one, etc.

INGO classifieds are free. You will still have to take pictures and write descriptions, but there is none of the other hassles or the cost of gunbroker. You will probably get more than you would from an auction, simply because you won't pay commission.

If you take them to a store to sell on consignment, you pay a percentage as commission also. I don't know what the standard fee is for firearms. I would guess it's 15-20%.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    From the gun auctions I have been to counting the one my father had when he retired from the gun bus,guns at auction generally bring more than they do anywhere else,especially if you have several.
    And you don't have to take phone calls ,lowball offers,drive to meet someone etc.

Just for thought not advising anything.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    From the gun auctions I have been to counting the one my father had when he retired from the gun bus,guns at auction generally bring more than they do anywhere else,especially if you have several.
    And you don't have to take phone calls ,lowball offers,drive to meet someone etc.

Just for thought not advising anything.

This.... If you don't mind bringing them to Indy, Christys of Indiana Auctioneers has great gun auctions every couple months or so.
    And like Buford said, they , for the most part bring TOP DOLLAR!!!
    With pros like Christys you don't need to worry if you don't know the values, etc. They will take care of you!

Last edited:

812homes4u

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    Columbus
    I would say Classifieds would be good but it might take some time. You might check on renting a table at the local Gun Show. Price them right and they will go quick.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Auction is the quickest, and you'll get fair market value + on the vast majority of your goods. Just be careful which auctioneer you choose. ATF is cracking down on auctioneers selling firearms (I'm an auctioneer and recently had a 2 day training seminar on this topic.) If you can find an auctioneer with an FFL, that would be ideal.

Spanky... a question if I may. I have been watching a show on Netflix lately where people buy the entire contents of storage units that have fallen behind on payments. Neither the auctioneer nor the buyer has any idea what is in the various boxes and crates typically found in the storage unit.

Once the unit is bought as is, there is no oversight as to what is pulled out of the boxes. In one episode a buyer found a cache of flare guns that were worth a bit of money.

The show is set in California which has its own draconian laws about private transfer of guns but in general, what is the law on this type of "auction" if a gun is tucked away in a box since neither the seller or buyer realizes that a firearm is involved in the purchase? How would Indiana law handle it?

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Spanky... a question if I may. I have been watching a show on Netflix lately where people buy the entire contents of storage units that have fallen behind on payments. Neither the auctioneer nor the buyer has any idea what is in the various boxes and crates typically found in the storage unit.

Once the unit is bought as is, there is no oversight as to what is pulled out of the boxes. In one episode a buyer found a cache of flare guns that were worth a bit of money.

The show is set in California which has its own draconian laws about private transfer of guns but in general, what is the law on this type of "auction" if a gun is tucked away in a box since neither the seller or buyer realizes that a firearm is involved in the purchase? How would Indiana law handle it?

My wife & I rent storage units to the public. We also do auctions, on those that fall 4 months behind. Of coure the 'renter' is called several times and sent a registered letter.... telling them their belongings are going to auction on X date. There is also an 'intent to sell' notice published in the local newspaper.

We have had units sold w/ firearms involved. So our corp is aware of the laws, regarding such. The buyer of the unit, is now the legal owner of those firearms. Some check with local LE, just to verify the serial #'s are not listed on a "stolen gun list". If they are not..... the person who bought the contents of the unit.... may keep them or sell them (private sales), as they choose. That's it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    No use or space for 30+ guns... is that what you said? You would be surprised how many you can put under your couches and beds, closets, etc.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    My wife & I rent storage units to the public. We also do auctions, on those that fall 4 months behind. Of coure the 'renter' is called several times and sent a registered letter.... telling them their belongings are going to auction on X date. There is also an 'intent to sell' notice published in the local newspaper.

We have had units sold w/ firearms involved. So our corp is aware of the laws, regarding such. The buyer of the unit, is now the legal owner of those firearms. Some check with local LE, just to verify the serial #'s are not listed on a "stolen gun list". If they are not..... the person who bought the contents of the unit.... may keep them or sell them (private sales), as they choose. That's it.

Do you do the same type of auction, then, where both you and the buyer are unaware of the contents of the unit other than what can be seen from the open doorway? I've been to several where they have everything out on display to be auctioned on, but never one where I had to guess what I was buying.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I would really like to see a list of what you are selling. I know of a bunch of people, myself included, that could definately put a dent in 30 guns. I would say atleast put up a list of what you have and go from there. The classifieds on here sell guns quick as long as they are priced right.

Who knows but if the list is good I might be willing to make an offer on the whole lot.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Maybe its just me, but I would have fun researching and selling a bunch of guns.

Just getting the list, taking the pictures and creating the posts would make for a great winter project.

You've got a great source of information here on history and value of any tricky ones. Plus you've got the makings a great table at the 1500 in January.

PastorBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Wabash
    Maybe its just me, but I would have fun researching and selling a bunch of guns.

Just getting the list, taking the pictures and creating the posts would make for a great winter project.

I completely agree! My OCD would go into overload (and my wife would probably go into meltdown :))

If you run into any Remington 870 combos or ARs I might just be your man to help unburden you and your brothers!

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    My dad died this past summer, and my brothers and I carried out close to 100 long guns from his house. Neither I or my brothers have use or space for 30+ rifles/shotguns each, so we planned to each pick out a few and sell the rest. I haven't taken any inventory yet, but what would be the best or easiest way to sell them? One idea was a booth at a gun show, but I don't know if I would need a license or a permit or anything.

Between my two brothers and I, I am the only one with an LTCH. afaik.

Auction.

The guns from private estates at auctions go for more than retail. One local gun shop closed and the owner "transferred" his inventory to himself then had an auction. I believe that every single firearm and every piece of ammunition brought more than it was priced at in the store!!! There was no paperwork since it was not from an FFL since he had retired his FFL a few days before. Don't know about the legalities of that particular auction.

Point is, auctions bring top dollars for firearms.

superstorm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2009
    SW Fort Wayne
    Auction charges 15-20% to sell your guns I would try first here and hope you can sell multiple to the guys on the forum you will be surprise how many collectors there is I for one. So I say try on INGO

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'd try a list here first, or heck, maybe our illustrious site owner would let you set up a auction thread of sorts, where the highest posted bid after a set amount of time takes the gun. I'd bet you'd do at least as well here as at an auction, and anything that doesn't go you can still auction off normally.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Ya might just post a list in the classifieds for a week or so asking if anyone is interested in a certain gun on the list.
    If so, sell it to them, then go the auction route after the week has lapsed.
    That way, you dont leave your ingo brothers out in the cold if someone is looking for something in particular, but you dont have to try and sell 100 guns in the classifieds.

Johnny C

Top Bottom