• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    How do you guys identify fishing spots on big lakes and reservoirs? Just because there is water doesn't mean there will be an abundance of fish.

Do you look for peninsulas? Downed trees? Etc

I'm talking about fishing from the shore, not from a boat. So there is no depthfinder to use.

Any help INGO?
    Looking for some good catfishing spots at Mississenewa and the Kokomo Reservoir

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    For cats I look for the places no bass fisher wants to pitch a rattle trap. Cats Like cover around here and it seems the thicker the tangle the bigger the fish.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    usually I look for rock/riprap points or docks to start out with after that its trying to find sharp drop offs like rock ledges or walls as actually the best way to fish these is on the shore and straight up and down as the fish hug tight or in the pockets.

Lastly I also go by smell. Now this isnt in purple for a reason is that if i smell them I have been able to pull atleast a few from that spot.

also you can get a depthfinder as they make the fishing buddy and smartcast systems.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Depends on what you are fishing for. We usually just cast and fish with a crawler and a hook for bluegill...the little ones steal the crap out of crawlers on bobbers.

Crappie: typically have best luck jigging along freshly downed or sunken trees

Cats: chicken liver on a treble where there are either big rocks or lots of trees.

Like I said, we usually just chill...shoot the breeze...and watch for runners on or crawler rig. Very seldom do we not catch an array this way. I've caught cats, crappie, bass, blue gill, and a crapload of perch with just a number 6 hook and a canadian crawler. Only thing is, you can't use tiny worms because you need that extra weight to help cast it. :-)

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    the best way to find them for me is to find a comfortable area...cast out with whatever im using....stay and fish for 20 min....if not bites..the fish are not there, move on to next comfortable spot and repeat until money hole is acquired

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You need to know the species of fish you are pursuing and where to expect to find them at any given time of year. Topo maps of the lake, any fresh water flow and knowing how water and wind currents affect the lake. Any neck downs or inside turns that will pile up baitfish in the wind?

In general, changes in elevation above water wil continue below the water. Steep slopes, cut banks, turns, under water points. A good spot in general is the inside turn found where a point meets the shore. A lot goes on those spots if there is any depth or weed growth. Fallen trees and blow downs by shore.

If you don't know of any of that, a slip bobber, a true slip bobber like those made by Thill and plenty of hooks, jigs, lead and bait will allow you to fish from 12" depth to the depths you find as far out as you can physically cast. Good way to learn the structures you can't see.

An ultra light rig with small floating baits is not a bad way to expore along the shore, using 2" stick baits, rubber spiders and small spinning baits.

Then comes Flippin' and Pitchin' but you are not there yet.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    the best way to find them for me is to find a comfortable area...cast out with whatever im using....stay and fish for 20 min....if not bites..the fish are not there, move on to next comfortable spot and repeat until money hole is acquired

That is how I typically used to fish as well.

You do that often enough and you learn where the fish like to be in any lake or pond.

Top Bottom