• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bushidomedic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm interested in buying a bolt rifle, yet have very limited funds. Recently a friend told me about Howa 1500 rifles and how for very cheap you can get surprising results.

My question, is the Howa 1500 worth the hype, or should I save up more coin for a better rifle?

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    I've heard the same, and since the actions are relatively inexpensive it wouldn't seem to be too expensive to put together a very nice rifle. I'd love to do so, but without a >100yd range nearby it'd be a waste.

Are you decided on .308? I've heard that many prefer .260Rem for longer range shooting these days.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You may want to check out Weatherby. From my understanding they are very similar. I priced a Weatherby Vanguard Carbine 20" .223 for $450 locally. It comes with a factory tuned and adjustable trigger, and a written accuracy guarantee. They had one in the shop. The trigger is short and crisp, and the bolt is as smooth as a babies ***. I have yet to price another rifle with the same attributes for cheaper.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Get the Weatherby. Howa action - Weatherby tuned and adjustable trigger. They're put together very nice - and they're just about the same price.

The only reason I would buy the Howa over the Weatherby is if i was still in love with the Hogue overmolded stock - which I am not.

bushidomedic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'll have to check out the Weatherby Vanguard, sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. What I really want is a tackdriver that can take abuse and will not break the bank. Tall order I know but this seems to fit nicely.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I'll have to check out the Weatherby Vanguard, sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. What I really want is a tackdriver that can take abuse and will not break the bank. Tall order I know but this seems to fit nicely.

Bud's has it

Weatherby Vanguard .308 Winchester-

406.00 Free Shipping :draw:

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    i have a howa 1500 in .308 and fully recommend and stand behind it.

i would not want to stand in front of it...

mine is what they called the varminter supreme. it is a 24" (or 26" can't remember) heavy barrel and comfy laminate stock. it weighs a lot and is a good bench gun. add a bipod, good glass, and a sling and it is still portable if you are up for it. i sanded the pretty stock and used some of that rustoleum camo paint and it looks sharp and way less flashy now. i'll post a picture of it this evening if i remember.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana

One thing to remember - and something that might push you to the Howa. Sporter barrels will heat up faster - and as a lot of barrels heat up, they'll open up groups or string vertically. I believe Howa has several versions with heavy target barrels.

toddk

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Lake / Porter Co
    Well Bushido, I will say I have heard many good things about Howa rifles.

And Mine just came in the other day, Will be heading out to the range for their recommended Break in Process.

Here's to Hoping they are as good as the hype!!

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    I have a Howa 1500 in .243, it's a pretty accurate rifle. But I have heard really great things about the Weatherby Vanguard. If I remember correctly, for a few bucks more, Weatherby will guarantee 1moa accuracy. I think it's called the Weatherby "Vanguard 1moa". What Weatherby does is select rifles from the Vanguard line, based upon the accuracy shown during test firing of the guns, and sells them as selected rifles. These guns are given a 1moa accuracy guarantee, by Weatherby.
    If anyone remembers what it's actually called, please supply the name.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I have a Howa 1500 in .243, it's a pretty accurate rifle. But I have heard really great things about the Weatherby Vanguard. If I remember correctly, for a few bucks more, Weatherby will guarantee 1moa accuracy. I think it's called the Weatherby "Vanguard 1moa". What Weatherby does is select rifles from the Vanguard line, based upon the accuracy shown during test firing of the guns, and sells them as selected rifles. These guns are given a 1moa accuracy guarantee, by Weatherby.
    If anyone remembers what it's actually called, please supply the name.
    That sounds like the OLD Winchester 1 in 1000 thing. They claimed that 1 of every 1000 rifles built were the bees knees and pulled them out during test firing, stamped them 1 in 1000 and sold them for a premium.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I bought my son a used Howa heavy barreled .223 a few years ago. I cut the barrel down to 20"and recrowned it. It is a shooter and always amazes me. My biggest gripe is the trigger. I have never been able to get it very crisp. I plan on buying a good trigger and glass bedding the wood stock in the near future.

Howa's are a bargain IMO. And they have one smooth action too.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I was looking at the Howa Ranchland Compact Combo in .223 tonight. Read a bit about the scope that is on there and some people think its fine while others think it is junk. The guy at Walmart scanned their custom order book and it was showing the .223 as $398 or something with the .308 being over $500.

Top Bottom