Humanitarian Daily Ration - MRE type any good?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    There are more calories in an HDR than a regular MRE.

I bought two cases a while back and haven't made it to the second case yet. They're not great. The cookies, crackers, and pop tarts are fine, but the entrees are pretty terrible. Basically just rice and beans, or tomato sauce and peas (blegh). Better if you can find some way to heat them.
    That is what I suspected when I bought them. A good third tier reserve. Lots of convenient carbs and the entrees could serve as a base for added protein or flavors. Of course a large part of the world lives on rice and beans.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    That is what I suspected when I bought them. A good third tier reserve. Lots of convenient carbs and the entrees could serve as a base for added protein or flavors. Of course a large part of the world lives on rice and beans.
    The whole point of them was that they could be shoved out of helicopters over any impoverished dirt country on the planet and the people below would be able to eat them. Hence, no meat.

A case of 12 was $55 when I bought them. Haven't checked recently, but it's a lot cheaper than MREs. And, portable, with no hot water requirement. I wouldn't stack them super deep, but they have been handy on days I got lazy and didn't have anything prepped for work lunch or a weekend trip.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Has anyone experienced any problems ordering MRE’s or HDR’s from eBay or Amazon. I am concerned when it comes to food from an unknown source.

I am new to this and wondering if ordering direct would be better. APACK has a case of 10 for 40% off (104.00). Good deal?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Good information.
    I usually buy the bulk dry canned goods and stock them. I'm not much of a fan of MRE's, and if these humanitarian aid packs taste like MRE vegetarian that alone makes me think I don't want them.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom