• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I wonder if anyone else has a PJK or SMC handgun. Both are made in Hungary, The PJK I own is 9HP 9mm parabellum that looks like a Browning takeoff. I have shot it many times and it is a smooth shooting and accurate handgun. The SMC is in .380 cal and I have only shot it a couple time. I am considering changing over to this gun for my carry gun but cannot find much information on it. I carry a S&W Sigma 380 but tested it on the range yesterday and it started jamming on the last round every clip, which scares me. I had this problem when I first got this gun so I sent it back to S&W and they fixed the problem. It shot fine since then until yesterday. Any feed back on the Hungarian guns would be appreciated. Also, any idea why the jams on the last round all of a sudden?

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    What kind of malfunction on the the last round of the mag is it? Failure to feed? If so it could just be a spring problem with the magazine.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I forgot to mention that I have two mags and it did the same with both of them so not sure if it is the springs. For a S&W I am not impressed with the quality of this gun. Sorry I ever bought it but I wanted a small carry gun for my pockte and it was priced right. being a S&W I thought I couldn't go too far wrong, but I struck out.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Yeah, S&W doesn't have a great reputation for semi-autos really. If you want an S&W I'd stick with one of their snubnose .38's. They're good for concealment and in terms of reliability you really can't get any better than a revolver.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I have a Rossi model 877 six shot .357mag revolver I sometime carry in my car but I like to have a smaller "pocket gun" for CC. I have heard and read all the stories about stopping power etc. and you need to carry a cannon with you but realistically a 32 or a 380 will serve the purpose if you need to defend yoursef. The chances of any of us ever having to pull our weapons are probably slim to none during our lifetime and I like it that way. I do not feel the need to lug five pounds of weight on my belt if I don't have to. Just my opinion for whats it worth. I agree on the S&W Sigmas being a piece of crap from my experience with my gun. I have several wheel guns that S&W made and love them all. Same with Ruger's revolvers.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    I have a Rossi model 877 six shot .357mag revolver I sometime carry in my car but I like to have a smaller "pocket gun" for CC. I have heard and read all the stories about stopping power etc. and you need to carry a cannon with you but realistically a 32 or a 380 will serve the purpose if you need to defend yoursef.

Yeah, I think .32 or .380 is definitely enough for self defense. A lot of people say you should go higher than .380, but personally If someone pointed a gun at me, even if it were a .22LR, I would run just as quick as if it were .45.
    Have you checked into the Ruger LCP, Bersa Thunder .380, or similar guns? I'm actually sort of tempted to get the LCP. I haven't gotten to hold one to see how they'd conceal, but I think the LCP would be a good option for a pocket gun.

I forgot to mention Kahr Arms also makes a .380 in their P series of handguns I believe. If I remember it is pretty small and concealable. I just recently bought a Kahr CW-9, haven't shot it yet, but it is a really thin gun since it uses single stack 9mm mags. You might check that out as well.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I dug out my KBI-SMC 380 (PPK type) I bought about eight years ago and never fired yet to eventually replace the Sigma. I need to put a few boxes through it to make sure it fires every time. It is one of the two Hungarian auto's I bought when I was a FLL dealer and could buy from wholesalers.

The other Hugarian import, a JPK-9HP 9mm is a real sweet shooter. They were sold in Europe as a Mauser 80SA. The gun is almost exact copy of the famous Belgian High Power (also known as HP or GP-35) pistol. In fact, GP-35 and P9M are so similar that many parts are interchangeable between them. The 9mm is a little big for me to CC, almost like a Browning in size. I probably put two boxes through this one and it shot like a dream.

I have to get down to Popsguns next week and get my new carry gun broke in.

Last edited:

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I had one of the PJK-9HP FEG Hi-Power clones...very nice pistol. Sold it to a buddy who wanted a simple, dependable 9mm. The smaller Hungarians? Not as much luck. I bought a PA-63 in 9mm Makarov for $95 and it self-destructed on the SECOND ROUND!

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Yeah, I remember buying my first one for $189.00. Last few gun shows I've seen one you can't touch em for under $325.00 I think a lot of people finally figured out what a good pistol they are. I've got a MKIII Browning now, so I don't think I need another one. The new Charles Daly is the exact same gun as the FEG, different markings.....

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I have a Charles Daly Hi Power and a "Hungarian Arms PPH", AKA PA-63 in .380, aka Interarms PPH, etc... The little PA-63 is an absolute charmer, functions well, good accuracy from a "compact". It has a longer barrel than most (about a 4" if I remember) .380s, however, for the heft, it has a low capacity and small sights. For a carry gun, there are better choices, but its still a decent one. The only thing I dont like about mine was the pricing. I got raped on it at a gunshow in Ohio. If they are offering more than 175, tell em to suck a railroad spike.

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    I've got the PJK-9HP FEG. It's got a nice finish and it's a consistent shooter. I put the Hogue wraparound grip on it, for a superb fit in my hand.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    You said something about the Ruger LCP and being curious about it.

My mother actually has one. Its not very accurate beyond about ten yards, obviously, but its a damn easy to conceal weapon, and she has yet to experience a failure with it.

I have a Taurus 738 or Taurus TCP, and it is basically the same thing as the LCP. Same size, same capacity, same caliber. I've shot a couple hundred through it without a single failure of any kind yet, and it conceals easily in my back pocket or in an ankle holster.

If you're looking for something that size, I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Had a PJK -9hp years ago ,I cannot recall one malfunction with it & was accurate ,it had some rough areas (interior ) but was solid as they come.

Top Bottom