• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Not the best pictures I have ever taken, but he/she didn't seem to want to stick around long after I stepped outside.

Time to go south big bird, and leave my fish alone!

dsc3429e.jpg

dsc3434c.jpg

dsc3435t.jpg

dsc3438q.jpg

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Cool pictures, I loved them.

I love birds and photographing them, there is a heron in the creek in front of my house and I would love to catch a good picture of him.

Thanks for posting. Rep inbound.

Terry

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    You need to borrow my rifle? These D**n things they spear my bass and they are too big to eat so they leave them lay one the bank. I have a dog that runs them off during the day, but she has to sleep sometimes. I need to find away to keep the birds off my pond, Ive lost some nice bass, small cats and even a small grass carp. Its a family event to feed my fish every nite, thats more the real issue. The fish come up to eat and the bird has easy access.

I was in a Bass tournament one Hot summer day, and we weren't catching anything it was tough, I seen one of these herons grab about a 2.5lb bass in front of some cattails in his beak and jump up on the slanted bank and put it down. He was so proud of his catch he just kinda stood over it kinda holding it down with his feet. He stepped off for 1 second and that bass took about 3 flips and hit the water, the bird bouncing around trying to catch him on the bank and when he hit the water after that bass he flared his wings madder than all get out! let out a big squak! He was mad that bass got away. I wish I had a camera to show that bird cussing that bass, it was hilarious.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    You need to borrow my rifle?
    Thanks for the offer, but I got some'a ma'own rifles.

Problem is, these damn birds are a protected species according to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. Link......http://www.fws.gov/laws/lawsdigest/migtrea.html

Now that doesn't mean a dog can't tear one up, but if I am not mistaken (by law) you are not even allowed to "harass" a Great Blue Heron.

As much as I have been tempted to use one for target practice, that'd be a BIG no-no. I too have lost some really nice fish, to these big beautiful bastards.

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    Thanks for the offer, but I got some'a ma'own rifles.

Problem is, these damn birds are a protected species according to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. Link......Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918

Now that doesn't mean a dog can't tear one up, but if I am not mistaken (by law) you are not even allowed to "harass" a Great Blue Heron.

As much as I have been tempted to use one for target practice, that'd be a BIG no-no. I too have lost some really nice fish, to these big beautiful bastards.

These things nest over on the salamonie river by the 100's, they are everywhere. I wouldn't shoot one that was a joke, but I will run them off the pond.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    He stepped off for 1 second and that bass took about 3 flips and hit the water, the bird bouncing around trying to catch him on the bank and when he hit the water after that bass he flared his wings madder than all get out! let out a big squak! He was mad that bass got away. I wish I had a camera to show that bird cussing that bass, it was hilarious.

:):..... :laugh: That would have been awesome to see.

I love seeing those big, lumbering birds.

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    They make a little thing that attaches to a garden hose and sprays them. You could always get one of those. They are called scarecrows. Kinda look bird like too

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I use to love watching them when I was out fishing. I got a chance to watch one for about 30 minutes from about 25 feet away last summer. I'm not a big fan of most birds but there are several that I'll always sit and watch when I can.

Top Bottom