• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    I got drawn for the fall firearms hunt at Big Oaks National Wildlife Refuge (Jefferson Proving Grounds). I plan on viewing the safety tape a few days in advance to get that out of the way. Really looking forward to this since I have never been on a refuge hunt before. I would imagine the bucks in the area have a better chance to reach maturity than they would otherwise.

Has anyone hunted here before? Do they allow you to scout your selected area ahead of time, to check it out and put up stands or blinds? I will either be using a climber or a cheap strap on ladder stand. If anyone has hunted here and can recommend an area, I would appreciate that as well.

I also plan on taking my TC Triumph down there and also my SPR453, just in case I am in a thick brushy area that may require a quick follow up shot.

Thanks!

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    You can only scout the areas where there is a day pass available which is basically around the lake area. They tell you that you cannot scout but can go "bird watching" in those areas.

You can use a blind or treestand that you can take in the morning of and take with you the last evening of your hunt days.

I have hunted Big Oaks the last two years with my father-in-law and got drawn again for the first rifle hunt day that was available, 11/6/11.

I am really a newbie to hunting Big Oaks but I will be asking for section 26 or 40 because i am letting my father-in-law pick this year. I hope he is right.

You can see the last 6 years results by percentage by area on the link below

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/BigOaks/GUN.htm

You should also read the hunt information that is provided.

Last, be very careful around the areas next to the restricted areas. There are truly unexploded ordinance. I found a 105mm unexploded shell last year sitting right on top of the leaves along a deer trail.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Last, be very careful around the areas next to the restricted areas. There are truly unexploded ordinance. I found a 105mm unexploded shell last year sitting right on top of the leaves along a deer trail.

Also, stay out of restricted areas or they will ban you forever.:yesway:

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Grew up there.....

Both parents retired from JPG. Used to hunt the "employee only" areas...we got alot closer to the impact zones. I do know the feeling of something rounded and hard under your foot in the dark.

Area can be perfectly flat or have ravines and creeks, just depends on what you get. Don't be fooled in thinking the deer are stuck in there....I have watched them jump the perimeter fence from a dead start.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Both parents retired from JPG. Used to hunt the "employee only" areas...we got alot closer to the impact zones. I do know the feeling of something rounded and hard under your foot in the dark.

Area can be perfectly flat or have ravines and creeks, just depends on what you get. Don't be fooled in thinking the deer are stuck in there....I have watched them jump the perimeter fence from a dead start.

No kidding, they will jump right out onto highway 421! Bad news, :noway:

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    :yesway: +1 I just started working there a week ago so I can't tell you where the good places are but I can tell you to watch where you step, don't pick anything up, and be ready for some big deer! As soon as I can figure out how to put some pics on here I can show you why:patriot:

Top Bottom