• ...and so much more!
  • Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Hello! On Saturday, a coworker and I are going to try to do some squirrel hunting at Jasper-Pulaski. I've never hunted public land before. It has always been on private property. We both have all the proper licences and we will both be hunting with .22LR rifles. Our plan as of now is to try to get there a little before sunrise so we can make our way into the woods and -hopefully- find a good place to set up and wait for the squirrels to come out. I do have a few questions though, and they are as follows:

1.) Does Jasper-Pulaski require you to check-in somewhere before hunting?
    2.) If you are familiar with Jasper-Pulaski, are there any areas particularly good for squirrel? Where might they be?
    3.) Does our plan sound good or would you recommend another strategy?
    4.) I'm planing on zeroing my scope for 25yds-35yds. Is that a good distance? (first time hunting squirrel with a .22LR)
    5.) I have my lifetime LTCH. Am I able to carry (CC or OC) at Jasper-Pulaski?
    6.) Do you have any additional tips / tricks for squirrel that might aid in a successful hunt?
    7.) Can you think of anything I'm missing or might need to be aware of before going to Jasper-Pulaski?

I'm kinda sad this will be my first hunt in a few years and there's only a few days left for squirrel season, but I'm VERY excited to finally get back out into the woods! :D

Thanks in advance everyone!
    John

John

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    For all activities at JP you have to sign at the headquarters/main gate area. The only other advice I have for squirrel hunting is if you do shoot one don't go retrieve it right away, keep an eye on it and the area you killed it in because more than likely there will be more in the area and you don't want to scare the others off.

I've only been in area 3 and area 9 and always have seen squirrels there

joker762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Logansport
    Squirrel hunting tip #1- Whenever a squirrel sees it will run to the opposite side of the tree from where you are. Pick up a stick, rock, limb, etc and throw it on the otherside of the tree. The said squirrel will think its you and 99 times out of a 100 will run around to the side of the tree where you are. It makes for easy pickens!

have fun!

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Boy oh boy did we pick a bad day to hunt! We were at JP at around 8:00am Saturday and stayed until 2:00pm. Walked around multiple sections, probably 3-4 miles easy in total. We did not see one stinkin' squirrel! Saw plenty of nests and other signs that pointed towards squirrels being near, but they must have decided to stay in their den's that day! Still had a good time though being back out in the woods. Better luck next season hopefully! :D

Top Bottom