• ...and so much more!
  • asquires2

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was told by a friend that DNR was gonna up the rifle calibers to be used for hunting. Does anyone know if this is true or not and if so what rifle calibers are they gonna allow?

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I know that they now allow the 458 Socom which is a great round if your an AR shooter. All you have to do is buy a 458 Socom upper and put it on your .223 lower and your ready to go. Even the Mag stays the same, it just single stacks the round. I am actually looking at doing this but so far I havent had the time or money.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    For 2012 the max case length goes from 1.625" to 1.8". Calibers stay the same -- .357" minimum.

1.625" is the length of the .500 S&W Mag; 1.8" is the length of the .460 S&W Mag.

asquires2

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I knew about the 458 but I was thinking they were upping the rifle round. Right now Ill be hand gun hunting with a Tender 30.30 and and Encore 243 both in pistol. I wwas hoping they would up it so I could use my Remmy 243.

Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    In preparing to take my son hunting for his first year I learned some interesting BS about the firearms laws. I'm not a hunter but my son really wants to learn so I guess I'll become a hunter.

You're probably all familiar with the wackiness that the govt. put into deer caliber requirements. Not that it's easy to understand but basically, 20ga or bigger, the handgun rounds that fit their criteria, and some obscure rifle rounds.

I have a coyote problem from time to time so while researching hunting I looked into the firearms laws for coyotes.

"There are no restrictions on hunting hours or firearms for hunting fox and coyote."

So, in conclusion, I can shoot a 40lb dog with a Barret .50cal but not a 250lb deer. Secondly, I assume that most of the deer hunting is done from a tree stand thus you would be shooting downward...INTO the earth. Most coyote hunting is done from the ground.

I'm sure that if I hounded DNR on this they'd be more likely to change the restrictions on coyote than on the deer. When was the last time a coyote came through the windshield of a car or worse yet, a motorcycle. We need to thin the deer herd, why do we have such silly laws about hunting them? I asked DNR and when confronted with it, they said, "I really don't know but I'm sure there is something that makes sense about it."

Happy hunting guys, thin the herd.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    In preparing to take my son hunting for his first year I learned some interesting BS about the firearms laws. I'm not a hunter but my son really wants to learn so I guess I'll become a hunter.

You're probably all familiar with the wackiness that the govt. put into deer caliber requirements. Not that it's easy to understand but basically, 20ga or bigger, the handgun rounds that fit their criteria, and some obscure rifle rounds.

I have a coyote problem from time to time so while researching hunting I looked into the firearms laws for coyotes.

"There are no restrictions on hunting hours or firearms for hunting fox and coyote."

So, in conclusion, I can shoot a 40lb dog with a Barret .50cal but not a 250lb deer. Secondly, I assume that most of the deer hunting is done from a tree stand thus you would be shooting downward...INTO the earth. Most coyote hunting is done from the ground.

I'm sure that if I hounded DNR on this they'd be more likely to change the restrictions on coyote than on the deer. When was the last time a coyote came through the windshield of a car or worse yet, a motorcycle. We need to thin the deer herd, why do we have such silly laws about hunting them? I asked DNR and when confronted with it, they said, "I really don't know but I'm sure there is something that makes sense about it."

Happy hunting guys, thin the herd.

I understand this because I don't like it either however, there are to many idiots that would be out there with their AR or AK and 30 round mags firing at 500 yards on a deer. That's a lot of lead being sprayed. Also, I don't gun hunt from a tree. :)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We need to thin the deer herd, why do we have such silly laws about hunting them?

I really don't know but I'm sure there is something that makes sense about it."

You have heard of Newton's First Law and inertia? Well, it applies to the law as well.

The firearms restrictions were made upon Indiana's reintroduction of whitetail deer when shotgun slugs were mediocre at best. There have been many modifications over the years.

I understand this because I don't like it either however, there are to many idiots that would be out there with their AR or AK and 30 round mags firing at 500 yards on a deer. That's a lot of lead being sprayed.

And emptying an 11-87 full of shotgun slugs turns the slugs into magic bullets full of pixie dust?

No reason IDNR could not allow manually operated rifles above certain calibers (to ensure to .223s or AK rounds were not used). Or, have a two tier system where if you pass a test and pay more money one can use centerfire rifles.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    You have heard of Newton's First Law and inertia? Well, it applies to the law as well.

The firearms restrictions were made upon Indiana's reintroduction of whitetail deer when shotgun slugs were mediocre at best. There have been many modifications over the years.

And emptying an 11-87 full of shotgun slugs turns the slugs into magic bullets full of pixie dust?

No reason IDNR could not allow manually operated rifles above certain calibers (to ensure to .223s or AK rounds were not used). Or, have a two tier system where if you pass a test and pay more money one can use centerfire rifles.

No, but unless people are hunting with Saigas I'll take the shottys :D. But I agree we should be allowed those calibers...wheres that pesky test about shotgun slugs that people who are against large calibers hate?

people shoot there shotguns and MLs at distances that would be similar to an AK or AR shot around here.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    wheres that pesky test about shotgun slugs that people who are against large calibers hate?

Are you referencing the Pennsylvania study that I have posted several times before that shows that shotguns are no safer than centerfire rifles?

The prohibition against centerfire rifles is against safety and has no rational basis.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The only problem I see with the manual rifle idea, Kirk, is that the SKS is an ideal woods deer rifle, similar to a 30-30 lever gun, only on a more modern platform that is less expensive to get started into hunting with it.

I would like to see the rules changed to allow a broader spectrum of rifles for deer season, but not only for the sake of using a bigger gun. It would be nice to see less expensive alternatives made available, to facilitate those that hunt to feed their families as well as enjoy the outdoors.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Things are changing.....slowly. Over time the rules will eventually allow centerfire rifle calibers. Nothing in the law ever changes quickly unless it is a kneejerk reaction that will do nothing to aleviate the action that caused the kneejerk reaction.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    To further fuel the fire, I dragged a 243AI XP100 back from Wyoming and will hunt with it this firearms season. Physics is beyond the understanding of the INDNR, as it drifts and drops less to the closest residence than all of the rifle length 308s shooting Corelokts that would fill the woods were they to unban them.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The only problem I see with the manual rifle idea, Kirk, is that the SKS is an ideal woods deer rifle, similar to a 30-30 lever gun, only on a more modern platform that is less expensive to get started into hunting with it.

Then use a .30-30 underlever. You can get Winchester M94s for less than the price of a CKC in pawn shops all over the state.

A prohibition on self-loaders is just one way to fight the Cleduses. Since a true Cledus will always find a way to do something stupid with any type of firearm, testing would be the better course IMHO. Use any type of firearm but be prepared to pass a written and range test.

Physics is beyond the understanding of the INDNR

Typical, attempting to use reason in dealing with government. Look once a government writes something down that alters reality forever.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Then use a .30-30 underlever. You can get Winchester M94s for less than the price of a CKC in pawn shops all over the state.

I guess I am still in denial, remembering the days of $60 a pop SKSs, and cases of russian surplus going for $59.95.

Testing would be a good way to lower the instances of deer hunters getting their tongues stuck to their truck windows, but then how would that be any different than the licences requirement to carry a handgun? I am a firm believer of Natural Selection, and think the worlds governments are causing over population by making it more difficult for common sense impaired people to die of natural causes.

Top Bottom