• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I posted this on another hunting sight but wanted to share here as well.

I have two sons 10 & 16. I had the chance to take both of them out hunting this year for the first time. My oldest was able to take a deer while my youngest took a shot at one and I decided he was just not ready. He practiced quite a bit and was a good shot but with the added pressure of having a deer in front of him he just couldnt quite get it done with a deer at 30 yards. In an effort to keep him from injuring a deer I decided that he needs more time in the stand with me observing before he should take another shot at a deer. He was okay with it and understood. Next year he should be ready to take that shot.

With that said I thought I would share a few stories my oldest told me about his friends from school and how they were hunting. The first story my son told me about was from a second year hunter that was bragging about taking 2 deer on the same day. My son thought this boy was a mighty hunter until we sat and talked about ethical hunters and what it means to respect the game you are hunting. My sons friend was telling him that he was given 12 slugs to use on opening day to use in his semi auto shotgun. He had a group of deer step out around 100 yards away. The boy started bragging about just opening fire at the group of deer and speed loading his shotgun until he was out of ammo. He thought he might have gotten 4 deer by the time it was all done but they only found 2 of them. My son was telling me how proud this boy was of what he had accomplished. The next story came from another one of his friends that also hunts. This boy was bragging about taking a double with one shot. He was bragging about how good he was for almost getting both deer. He said he shot the front deer and passed through it and the shot took the leg off of the deer that was behind it. They never did find the doe in the back but when it took off it was missing a leg or something to that nature. Needless to say I was sick to hear these stories and could not help to wonder what the fathers of these boys were saying about what they had done. It is my hope that the next generation of hunters are not being taught that this kind of hunting is okay. I spent a long time talking with my son about ethical hunting and the respect for the game that we are hunting. I also explained to him why I only use single shot firearms when I hunt. I explained that we would only be using very accurate single shot firearms when we hunt because if you are taking a proper shot it will only take just one shot. He proved to me that he was only willing to take an ethical shot when we were hunting. He passed several deer while out for the first time waiting for the perfect shot. All the while knowing we might not get a chance at another deer. His first deer was a perfect double lung center punch shot. I made sure to let him know that I was proud of him for the deer but more proud of him for taking the time to make a good ethical shot and letting the questionable shots go. I told him that is what truely makes a great hunter.

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    This was my really first season deer hunting and I've spent some time this Summer/Fall just walking the woods and sitting with my boy (7y.o.) and talking about it. He was talking about how I should shoot at any deer I see. I've told him over and over that it's not fair to wound an animal or leave it weakened and suffering. If I'm going to do it, I'll do my darndest to make it as quick as possible.

Hearing stories like the OP at least assuages my conscience for passing on the park reduction hunt this year. Knowing that people like that really ARE out there is, well, frightening.

I just can't imagine wounding 2 animals, basically on purpose!

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    This was my really first season deer hunting and I've spent some time this Summer/Fall just walking the woods and sitting with my boy (7y.o.) and talking about it. He was talking about how I should shoot at any deer I see. I've told him over and over that it's not fair to wound an animal or leave it weakened and suffering. If I'm going to do it, I'll do my darndest to make it as quick as possible.

Hearing stories like the OP at least assuages my conscience for passing on the park reduction hunt this year. Knowing that people like that really ARE out there is, well, frightening.

I just can't imagine wounding 2 animals, basically on purpose!

It is great to hear stories like yours from a first year hunter. Learn what you can and by your mistakes and pass them on to your son. :yesway:

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I am all for fathers (or mothers) teaching their kids to hunt properly and as soon as they are ready. It is also important to teach them about the idiots out there and how not to be like them. I hope you enjoy many seasons of hunting with your boys.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    I taught myself proper hunting ethics. To me there wasn't any question or debate with myself about how I would hunt. I have NO PROBLEM killing an animal, but I beat into my own head the respect for the animals that I am hunting. Although it is "just an animal" it is still an animal giving it's life for your benefit (be it food or recreation or w/e your motives are for hunting) I have no desire to kill an animal that I do not intend to consume. (minus animals damaging my property) That is just me. My son is only 2 years old, but I look forward to being able to educate him on what it means to be a real hunter. I am by no means the best hunter out there, but I take pride in my hunt and have the utmost respect for our natural resources. (part of that is due to my degree and desired occupation) It is disheartening to hear children telling stories like that. It doesnt sound like they have spent any time in a proper hunter education class nor do they have a good example leading them in the woods.

+1 for you guys teaching the future hunters the correct way to hunt and how important it is to respect the natural resources we have.

-dcary7

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    When you step into the woods or fields you take on a responsibility to the animals you are hunting as well as to your fellow hunters. You are responsible for your own safety as well as being ethical and not being a danger to others in the woods. Wounding an animal serves no purpose other than to feed the coyotes. Good on you for teaching your own and maybe others by your example.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds like you had some talks with your boys like my dad had with me! Good for you! I too get sick of hearing some of the stories out there of unethical shots or just plain a-hole hunters that really ought to not be in the woods at all. Glad to hear there are a couple more good ones thanks to you!!

Top Bottom