• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I cut the legs off...(Axe) Hang the deer (slip knot around the neck) with strong rope. Make a cut around the neck, and start peeling down. When you have several inches peeled down, wrap a golf ball (or a rock..ect) in the loose skin and tie around it with another rope, which is attached to the vehicle...slowly pull the skin off! It works great!

Like wrapping a rock inside a corner of a tarp or tent and tying your rope around it when it doesn't have a grommet, right?

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hello Mr Evilwrench,
    I have also though about getting one myself. Have never had one or used one. I do not know how well a better one $$ would work, but a hunting buddy has a cheaper hunting knife with a gut hook and he will still cut open gut with the one he has, so not sure if I want one myself. If you buy a good quality one let us know what you think of it. Thanks

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    A car, a rope and a golf ball. I'd like to see that, it actually sounds fascinating.

Any more, I sometimes get a little twitchy if I have to freehand anything with my right hand, the shoulder and wrist are weak. Mostly, I've gotten used to the hook because I've been too cheap to buy a blade that could cut through warm butter a second time without sharpening it. Just hook it and rip. I might do better now.

For squirrels, it's one knife cut thru base of the tail and two slices in a V shape away from the tail. The rest I do with game shears.

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    i like this
    kodipakcombocopy_1081_general.jpg
    outdoor edge kodipak. bought mine at cabelas on my way for an elk hunt in colorado in 1996 or 97 for about $100. i have field dressed over 30-35 deer since then and have only had to touch up the caper blade a couple times and the skinner once. never cut the guts with the hook either. the saw works great for cutting the pelvis, legs, and sternum but will rust if you dont keep it clean and oiled. the handles are rubber coated and have great grip when wet.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I've dressed dozens of deer and never used a gut hook knife.
    Never popped the gut either.
    What does such a knife blade save you time wise?
    Allow the major unzip at 5 seconds vs 30 with a reg knife?

On deer, which are small and can be rolled on their back..........I simply don't see the need.
    Hell, it's a 5 minute speed surgery job to field dress a deer with a reg knife (no blood past wrists, none on clothes).

Elk/Moose...........might need a gut hook blade (I dunno).
    Isn't the trend there to bone out (no gutting)?
    Maybe such a blade helps rip n zip elsewhere.

I am a +1 on this. I have never seen the need for a gut hook on deer. Hell to be honest you really don't need over a 2" blade. Granted a larger beefy blade in nice for ripping through the rib cage but they can be gutted without that process.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN

Ok...so sell me on the Cutco knifes? My mother-in-law has a set I so far I am not impressed. Are they really worth the money?

I am not trying to be an a$$ here I just simply don't know. I see them advertised and I know a lot of people buy them but I still sit back and scratch my head. They just smell too much like The Amazing Ginsu that they put lipstick on and jacked the price up on it to make people feel like it truly is something "Amazing".

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    This is the best I have found. My hunting buddy, a real knife guy, loved this set. Very sharp, easy to clean and use, everything you need. Too bad I can't find them any more:
    Ruko HYDRA-X? - HuntSmart

My wife still thanks me for springing for Cutco knives for the kitchen, and that was over 10 years ago. We sharpen them ourselves with a Spiderco sharpener.

Top Bottom