I finally found the perfect gun for me... again!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I got this 40 S&W M&P Pro in a trade last week. I almost backed out of the deal because I wanted a 9mm. I figured I could always get a drop-in barrel, so I moved forward. I saw this gun a while back and had to have one. Even when I first picked it up, it felt like I could make the rounds go exactly where I was pointing.

Well, I went to the range today and was more than pleased with the result. I set up my 4" plate in the bay at approximately 30' and although I missed a few, the majority were on target. I didn't miss any on the full-size plate, but that was relatively simple with this gun.

The trigger and sites were perfect for me! I really like the fact that when the empty mag is dropped and a full one is inserted, the slide automatically releases. I may have to try it out at FNS. :yesway:
    DSC_0164-2.jpg
    DSC_0165-3.jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Nice! I am one of the few people that actually really likes the .40 S&W round. 9mm costs less and .45 makes bigger holes. But the .40 is a very versatile round once a person learns to control the recoil. Congrats on a nice gun and thanks for sharing.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Looks real nice, glad you are enjoying it!! I eyed the M&P pistols at the gun shop today, then I slid back over to the 1911's. :rolleyes: I can't seem to stay away from that section these days :):

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Nice! I am one of the few people that actually really likes the .40 S&W round. 9mm costs less and .45 makes bigger holes. But the .40 is a very versatile round once a person learns to control the recoil. Congrats on a nice gun and thanks for sharing.

I had a G23 along with several mid-size framed guns. After a while, I got rid of them all because they were killing my wrist. I was very pleased with the longer slide and ability to control the recoil with the M&P Pro. I still plan to drop a threaded 9mm barrel in it, along with a suppressor. But until that happens, I'm glad I have a gun that I really enjoy shooting.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    QUE...The "automatic slide release" is, to my knowledge, not an intentional feature but it is something that happens regularly. My M&P pro 9 does that almost all of the time (only didn't do it a couple times that I can think of) and my M&P 9 (regular or full size) does it most of the time if I smack the mag in it well enough. The problem is that if you are relying on it to do it, you break your tap, rack and bang training to eliminate the rack part. I'm not a fan of having a "gaming" training habit and a separate habit for self defense. One of two times (the first time) mine didn't do it was of course at my first USPSA competition. Can you say Murphy's law.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    i do have both the 9MM pro and 40Cal. pro and i personally think these guns are made great, i have rather large hands.. and they fit great. i carried my 40. while i was hunting for my new glock. but wouldn't hesitate to throw it on my hip!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I have a threaded 9mm pro barrel that I haven't shot yet. It is 9mm caliber and for a 9mm Pro so I assume it would not work as a 9mm conversion barrel in your 40 but I could be wrong (I wouldn't try it unless I saw something in writing from the barrel maker or S&W regarding the exact combination).

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    QUE...The "automatic slide release" is, to my knowledge, not an intentional feature but it is something that happens regularly. My M&P pro 9 does that almost all of the time (only didn't do it a couple times that I can think of) and my M&P 9 (regular or full size) does it most of the time if I smack the mag in it well enough. The problem is that if you are relying on it to do it, you break your tap, rack and bang training to eliminate the rack part. I'm not a fan of having a "gaming" training habit and a separate habit for self defense. One of two times (the first time) mine didn't do it was of course at my first USPSA competition. Can you say Murphy's law.

You are absolutely right, Doc. However, I don't tend to ease the mag into the well, which would enable me to continue the tap-rack-bang motion. If it didn't do it one day, it would only be another second or two to realize what was happening and to rack the slide.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have a threaded 9mm pro barrel that I haven't shot yet. It is 9mm caliber and for a 9mm Pro so I assume it would not work as a 9mm conversion barrel in your 40 but I could be wrong (I wouldn't try it unless I saw something in writing from the barrel maker or S&W regarding the exact combination).

I tend to agree, but I'm sure someone on here can give us a definite answer and point us to some sort of written verification. You could always call the company to find out.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've been a Glock guy for a long time regarding pistols, but I've been checking these out as of late as well. Was checking out a compact at PSS today while browsing what they had for AR accessories. Nice looking gun.

Might be on my list right behind the top spot which is currently reserved for a 15-22.

Top Bottom