• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    OK, my family was in the bait house business before I was born. My grandfather made alot of lead weight sinkers in the 50s that I have today. I will never use these and with lead going for over .50 per lb. I was thinking about scrapping it, but wanted to see if this is something that could be of use to a reloader. Any idea on value of 30lbs of lead for reload.

Thanks alot guys,
    2011-07-08081641.jpg
    2011-07-08084146.jpg

The big ones are 8oz thats a 1/2 lb per sinker lol

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You might be able to get as much as a buck a lb for it if you know the composition (pure lead, alloy, etc). $.75-$1 a lb is the going rate. 30lbs seems like a lot (and I wouldn't turn it down if offered to me), but it really isn't that much lead for the serious caster.

Last edited:

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    weight

I scrapped some last week after a co worker was explaining how hi scrap values were. He told me lead was going for like .50 per lb and I didnt believe him. Not for a recycle scrap price. It was, so I took my 90 lb block and got $46.50. There was a single block about 75% the size of a cinder block and it weighed in at 96 pounds exact. There was a small section cut off where these sinkers were made from. I would say that these are 100% lead unless the block itself was a composite which I dont know. If the composite is prepared by individuals adding other metals to the smelting process then I know its 100% lead!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I demo'ed an old doctors office with a friend and we came into the old X-ray room. 1/4 inch thick lead panels 4X8 like plywood. 8 of them. Pure lead.

My smoke pole buddies were very happy. I still have them outside of the shed. I told him they were mine as soon ad we found it. Lead might not be as expensive as gold but it weighs enough to make me keep em outside instead o taking them in for now.

Get yourself a mold and look around for the old pot and dipper he most likely had. It is not that hard to cast them up. The sinkers are good for slugging the bore to determine proper sizing.

Top Bottom