I guess I should have asked this instead.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    So I bought a blade wanting to make a my own handle. I know absolutely nothing about doing the task. I have a general idea about what I need, but not exactly.

Does anyone know of a website or book that would show a rookie like me how to get started?

EDIT: here is a picture

WP_000677_zpsaef21960.jpg

Last edited:

PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    Google will do it! There are so many different ways to do it and so many different videos that I'd need to know the style of the tang and materials you want to use before I could link you a specific one.

Can you put a picture up of the blade and post an idea of what materials you want (Or if you don't know, what the purpose of the knife will be)

Last edited:

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    So I bought a blade wanting to make a my own handle. I know absolutely nothing about doing the task. I have a general idea about what I need, but not exactly.

Does anyone know of a website or book that would show a rookie like me how to get started?

I like to use tube fasteners, for that I epoxy my grip slabs on after I have them shaped insert the tubes and flare the ends of the tubes.

I've also used bolts, my hawk is 3/8" thick so I just tapped a hole in the handle and bolted the grips on.

I know allot of people like the corby bolts, Corby Style bolt MEDIUM .183" shaft with.250" shoulder 303SS

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    google the jonsey knife making tutorial. or:

drill some 1/8" holes in the tang.
    clamp your handle material to the back side of the knife.
    drill holes through handle material.
    repeat with other side.
    sand off the top/leading edge to make it nice.
    cut a few pieces of 1/8" brass welding rod into 2" pieces.
    prep your epoxy.
    spread epoxy on tang.
    insert pins.
    clap work FIRMLY with clamps.
    let dry for 24 hours.
    peen the pins.
    remove extra material from handle slabs and pins.
    sand.
    sand.
    sand.
    sleep.
    cry.
    sand.
    sand.
    sand.

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Google will do it! There are so many different ways to do it and so many different videos that I'd need to know the style of the tang and materials you want to use before I could link you a specific one.

Can you put a picture up of the blade and post an idea of what materials you want (Or if you don't know, what the purpose of the knife will be)

thats just it, there are so many videos I don't know where to start. Yeah I can post a picture .

And I'd like it to be an all purpose knife.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Book , how to make knives, by richard barney andRobert loveless
    Probably as basic and as detailed as they get
    Also david boye made a book on the subject that is very good.

PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    Handle Materials

There are a dozen knife supply places like that to get handle materials. They also have the hardware (pins, corbys, tubes). I think they probably also charge a nice premium, so if you know what you want and have another source don't be shy about it.

The books will show you how to do it, but honestly it's a really quick and easy process to learn on youtube. I would just shop google pictures and decide the type of handle you want, then you can see what is involved in it. Cubby's response will get you the most common, easiest, and cheapest solution in my opinion. It also requires few tools (No tapping, no flaring). Also considering the size holes you already have through your piece, it looks like traditional pins will fit right in there.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I like to use tube fasteners, for that I epoxy my grip slabs on after I have them shaped insert the tubes and flare the ends of the tubes.

I've also used bolts, my hawk is 3/8" thick so I just tapped a hole in the handle and bolted the grips on.

What are you flaring the tubes with? I see some people using the dies and such from USAknifemaker and other using cut off woodscrew heads. I was just curious if there is a huge diference in the end result (which I would guess there is a bit).

zi was thinking of using tubes on these first two hawks since they're only 1/4 thick, but may just use chain ring bolts (but they are kind of pricey for some prototype hawks that are going to get beat to death).

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    What are you flaring the tubes with? I see some people using the dies and such from USAknifemaker and other using cut off woodscrew heads. I was just curious if there is a huge diference in the end result (which I would guess there is a bit).

zi was thinking of using tubes on these first two hawks since they're only 1/4 thick, but may just use chain ring bolts (but they are kind of pricey for some prototype hawks that are going to get beat to death).

I've done the wood screw thing in a vise, I made a c-clamp with some scrap steel and 1/2" bolts that works perfect.

Top Bottom