I had to pay the police off the day before my birthday...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    I had to pay the police off the day before my birthday...Range Report pg 2

The 870 Police that is. So I have been wanting to get a shotgun to shoot clays with. I considered a nice over-under but then thought that I could buy 2 nice firearms for that kind of money. I also have been wanting a wood furnitured riot style shotgun so I thought I'd take care of both needs by getting a police with a extra 28" express barrel.

I also ordered a few parts to get it setup a little more to my liking; a wilson +2 extension and a Fortman Lh safety from midway. I also picked up a leather GI sling at the LGS to finish it off.

The Fortman safety is going to need some finesse because it engages really hard. I need to do some polishing on the detent area to see if I can get it working without needing to drop kick it.

I'm hoping to get out and put some lead up in the air \ down range soon.

870police2.jpg

870police.jpg

870police3.jpg

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I keep drooling over the wood stocked 870 at wallyworld, with the short barrel! beautiful gun! Your's I mean!............... Love the copy of the constitution in your tool box!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Thanks for the compliments. I love the wood and park together and I think the sling goes along with a kind of retro look.

If you are up in NWI stop in and see Steve at Granger Guns and he can order one up for you and have it in under a week.

I got the safety fitted today. I was using 320 grit sand paper to smooth the area between the detents on the safety. That wasn't doing much good so I busted out the dremel with a grinding cone and now the effort is about the same as the factory safety. It would be nice if Remington made it reversible from the factory but the Fortman piece is cheap enough to make it a affordable fix.

nrar15

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Attica
    Great looking love the wood. Has the same look as my Ithica but not as beat up, me and wood do not go well together always seem to beat the **** out of it.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    ADDED range report:

Well I made it the range. I had some issues and not sure if it was my fault or Remington's fault. Anyway after feeding the first shell from the mag, firing, and then pumping a new shell I would get a FTF. The shell was hanging up on the "Bolt release" (not sure proper name). It took me a while to figure out if it was a timing issue cause by me disassembling the trigger group to put the LH safety in or maybe something else. After screwing around with it I determined the release needed bent toward the LH side of the shotgun. After doing this it ran 100%. I could have done this when in stalling the safety but I am not sure. Here is what the issue looked like:

IMG_0244.jpg

I shot a few patterns at 50 ft using Noble sport 12 pellet, federal premium 9 pellet, and federal xm 127. I didn't really notice a huge difference in the patterns. The Fed premium was the smallest. Here is a picture: (the noble sport hole are probably bigger because the backing board was shot out there)

IMG_0247.jpg

All in all I am happy with my purchase so far. I need to get out and shoot some clays with it soon using my 28" barrel.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    It would be nice if Remington made it reversible from the factory but the Fortman piece is cheap enough to make it a affordable fix.

Very nice looking shotty, I really like it. :)

I hate to say it, because I have 2-870's and an 1100, but I wish that Remington would do a tang safety like Mossberg.

Top Bottom